No announcement yet.

Valve Confirms Linux Steam Box Will Be Open Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The drivers picked up will be those which HW Valve will choose to put in that minibox and on the date they will choose to do it. And it will also be about CPU choosen.

They can choose Nvidia and their proprietary drivers (Nouveau lack too much in non-3D, even if they manage to fix reclocking...).
    They can choose AMD and their proprietary drivers (AMD XXXg are not good for modern GPUs, and that will not change untill 8xxx are out...).
    They can choose Intel and their FLOSS drivers (and hopefully Intel stuff will grow enought so it reach parity with Win stuff...).

Each and every have their advantages (Nvidia do good stuff, AMD can offer APU, Intel have GPU and CPU on one dish and is leading in manufacturing processes, etc.).

So lets first hear RELEASE date of this Steambox.

Comment

i for one have nothing against closed briver, but sometimes can bite in the ass. i have a thinkpade edge13amd with hd3200 and run fedora 18 my card is not officially supported for some time now and amd official drivers were always buggy as hell on my harware. so i am gratefull that an OSS free alternative exists it surely doest have many features but since i mostly game on my big pc i hardly have to dual boot to play a stupid mmorpg. I own an nvdia 8400gs card too and i have to say works wonderfull on *buntus with official nvidia drivers. But when i`ll change my laptop in the future i will definatly go with intel an haswell couse the big bad monopolistic giant is trying to support open source very well. PS i am not a gamer i only play crappy mmorpgs and those games dont ask much resources so in my opinion even the curent intel GPUs can do most things average joe need, ofc heavy gamers dont even use an integrated gpu. Best wishes to all and excuse my poor english its not my native language

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
        The obvious choice would be to ship with Nvidia hardware and their official drivers.
        The Xi3 ppl using AMDs APUs

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          What about the graphics drivers? They surely can't ship with the open source versions. Hahaha it's gonna be so amusing hearing all the linux zealots calling valve names that they didn't choose their wonderfully fantastic open source drivers. In linux apparently the only people thinking are the ones that try to make money out of it. I'd love to hear what the open source commies have to say about this.
          Who cares what it ships with?

Comment

A bit of selective journalism from Michael...

It would have been nice if Michael had also included this interview in this news post:
            Valve engineer explains Steambox comments: 'No current plans to announce anything in 2013'

Comment

Ok so the bootloader wont be locked

Okay, so the bootloader won't be locked so it will be able to install and boot any operating system.

And it will use Linux which is open source. Then with Steam which is proprietary.
              How about other parts beside Linux kernel and Steam, will they be open source or proprietary components?

How about the hardware, will it be proprietary? I guess so.
              How about documentation?

Will the case use normal screws that anyone can open or special proprietary screws to prevent people from opening the case?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Okay, so the bootloader won't be locked so it will be able to install and boot any operating system.

And it will use Linux which is open source. Then with Steam which is proprietary.
                How about other parts beside Linux kernel and Steam, will they be open source or proprietary components?

How about the hardware, will it be proprietary? I guess so.
                How about documentation?

Will the case use normal screws that anyone can open or special proprietary screws to prevent people from opening the case?
                Steam being proprietary is actually a good thing. Yes, its coming from me
                The reason is online gaming and hence cheating. If you ever played any online game free or not and seen them, you will understand.
                Its hard to track and ban them, it costs time and money. If the whole game and communications are protected by warden/VAC, it is a good thing!
                Again, because you can redeem the game outside of Steam, you can play offline or host own server with own responsibility in completely open manner.
                But online,.. no,.. its much better to have no cheaters and closed game than even one of them and open game.

The single alternative to this is requirement to pay and register yourself with own personal credentials, so.. if one is caught cheating he is also damaged financially.
                But spotting them manually is still time consuming. Its a difficult topic,.. similar to bank authorization,... some things are still better to be closed and obfuscated. Good thing is that they are very rare.

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                The drivers picked up will be those which HW Valve will choose to put in that minibox and on the date they will choose to do it. And it will also be about CPU choosen.
                Its AMD APU inside, so its either catalyst or opensource.
                But either way, they are charging money for their console, so they better make sure it is running all features trouble-free.
                So, its already a bonus - one of the drivers will get more attention!
                Last edited by crazycheese; 09 January 2013, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Its AMD APU inside, so its either catalyst or opensource.
                  I doubt that the foss driver will be chosen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                    I doubt that the foss driver will be chosen.
                    Are they allowed to ship the box with the proprietary drivers?
                    Isn't it more likely that they ship it with the open drivers and provide a manual installer for the proprietary drivers which
                    downloads and installs them on behalf of the user? They need at least some kind of "disclaimer", don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      Is it really that hard to accept that we won't be getting anything open sourced from either AMD or Nvidia for the time being? Not everything needs to be open source. And I find the idea of imposing open source no different from the tyrant that you say is closed source.
                      Intel's drivers are opensource and while for a lot of people Intel's GPUs are fast enough, then the concept of working in a totally open environment is already a reality. Is difficult to see that this is only good?

Comment

Working...
                      X