Valve, Xi3 Show Off Mini Linux Gaming PC "Console"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    It's interesting that Intel claims to have an ARM binary translation layer for their x86 CPU. Too bad the reverse can't be had.
    It's called "qemu-x86_64" or "qemu-i386", depending on if you want 64- or 32-bit.

Intel is late, we had translation layers both ways for years here

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      It's called "qemu-x86_64" or "qemu-i386", depending on if you want 64- or 32-bit.

Intel is late, we had translation layers both ways for years here
      Yeah but that's a software solution with a pretty big performance impact. Intel is claiming near zero performance impact on their Atom SoCs. Maybe they are using a software solution as well.

Comment

Intel's solution is software, but they do it before-hand on their servers. So the Atom is getting a genuine x86 binary, pre-translated by the Intel cloud with much time to optimize it.

They detailed it in an article on Anandtech, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Intel's solution is software, but they do it before-hand on their servers. So the Atom is getting a genuine x86 binary, pre-translated by the Intel cloud with much time to optimize it.

They detailed it in an article on Anandtech, IIRC.
          Yikes that sounds like an awful solution. Does it require a network connection just to use an app? Or is it just a one-time translation deal that occurs after the app download?

Comment

One-time redirect when you download the app.

Comment

Ok I just dug up the AT article and there's an update:

"Update: Intel has clarified and informed us there is no cloud aspect to binary translation, it is 100% done on the device for ARM NDK applications."

So it looks like you download an app, it's translated to x86 on the device, and then when you go to run it it's already a native x86 app so there's no dynamic binary translation.

Interesting. I wonder how efficient the binaries really are.

Comment

Working...
              X