Valve, Xi3 Show Off Mini Linux Gaming PC "Console"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Everyone who has problem with AMD GPUs today are because they improperly set it up, something isn't fully updated, they have an HD4000 or older, or they just happen to have a program/game that doesn't run perfectly.
    I have an HD4000 series card and I don't seem to encounter the problems that many people talk about - it works great for me (in Windows 7 and Linux).

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Not really seeing how Linux gets any love out of this. Everybody would just install Windows.

Besides, if Valve doesn't have a unified OS for a "Steam Box" concept, game publishers wouldn't target Linux.

Nevertheless, AMD + Linux = do not want.
      From what I gather this will come with Linux preinstalled, do you actually think people will go out and buy a Windows 8 licence just so that they can run Windows on this? As for AMD, given that this is a fixed hardware spec I'm pretty sure they will have the drivers up and performing perfectly well once this launches.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
        From what I gather this will come with Linux preinstalled, do you actually think people will go out and buy a Windows 8 licence just so that they can run Windows on this? As for AMD, given that this is a fixed hardware spec I'm pretty sure they will have the drivers up and performing perfectly well once this launches.
        This won't come with Linux preinstalled as it is not the steambox.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          This won't come with Linux preinstalled as it is not the steambox.
          The title of this article is: Valve, Xi3 Show Off Mini Linux Gaming PC "Console"

Making the rounds today is word that Xi3 and Valve have partnered up. Xi3 is a computer hardware manufacturer known for making small PCs and now in conjunction with Valve they are working on a "Steam Box" that's codenamed Piston.
          So you are saying this is not a prototype Steambox?

Comment

Last edited by j2723; 08 January 2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

The title of this article is: Valve, Xi3 Show Off Mini Linux Gaming PC "Console"
              Since Valve aims to make the steambox an actual pc and since Steam runs everywere, any pc sponsored by Valve cn be considered asa a Gaming PC Console. But this device is not the awaited Steambox that is gonna run Linux. I suppose they just experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by j2723 View Post
                [IMG][/IMG]
                Where did you find it?

Comment

So you are saying this is not a prototype Steambox?

Never assume a Phoronix headline is accurate.

Comment

Guys, nothing is final just yet:

Comment

Phew !

Comment

Working...
                      X