Blizzard Entertainment Planning A Linux Game For 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    The problem with it was mostly it's focus on item farming instead of content.
    Not that surprising since they severed a large part of the community just to funnel the rest into using the RMAH.

Comment

Well then, releasing a game that every gamer (people like me who're not disciplined enough to miss out on every game or play it with crappy performance) has already played ad nauseam is totally pointless. The only ones who're going to buy that are those who buy it simply because it's a Linux game instead of for actually playing it.
      Releasing HotS for Linux same days as Windows would be the only thing I'd get excited about ... but then, I expect something like Scrubbing Toilets at Blizzard HQ Simulator, Christmas 2013 Edition.

Comment

This just hit me: it's going to be either Warcraft Adventures or Starcraft Ghost. I think the former is more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
          you people are incredibly stupid.

5 pages of idiocy:

they are going to release a WOW port, it's clearly stated in the article as 'they already have a client' etc etc...

if they see adoption... I believe that only if the WOW linux client matches or surpasses OS X numbers will they bother wih porting other games

if you want to play games on linux you can only use geforces with nvidia prop driver. FUCKING PERIOD.

they release for ubuntu because the *untu ecosystem all had up, from mint to lubuntu, probably is 70%+ of linux clients

Well, first of all, calm down !
          Second, the game they will release is *very* likely not Wow "With World of Warcraft working generally fine under Wine as well, the company is further unmotivated to officially support a Linux build of the game. " So, really read the article before posting about it !

Comment

Why didn't they do this when WoW was *THE* MMO game??
            It seems like a half-assed attempt to revive a dead (or dying) game by adding a new audience (Linux users).

It seems to me that the game developers start release games for Linux once they are n years old already and not that popular anymore (played to death), they shouldn't be surprised if their sales don't sky-rocket.
            Besides, as others have said before me, WoW worked fine in Wine (and it's time to Rhyme !).

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              amen brother. I am sick and tired of distros shipping alpha grade drivers that cause serious crashes. if the driver is not good, DONT FREAKING include by default it and make it available as an option.
              Thats 100% agreement, brother

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              needless to say, nouveau is a disaster and just is plain broken in many configurations. i rather have vesa as the default when the driver is unstable.
              Nouveau does develop very good. For example, in 2010 the 8300 IGP would just hang, in 2012 it started to work...
              I have found it currently very usable, it was capable to acceptably drive all nvidia cards that I possessed - gf 2 MX, gf 6100 IGP, gf 6800, gf 8300 IGP, gf 9800, gf 260 gtx.
              The two IGPs are PCs of my good friends and they are using nouveau on daily basis now, its rocksolid.
              I have also donated the card, so if you have a problem the best way is to donate the card to developer and/or pay him.
              Drivers are not developed in a land of Oz,.. its a good thing to know somebody is able to use his card thanks to your action.

Comment

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
                well, first of all, calm down !
                Second, the game they will release is *very* likely not wow "with world of warcraft working generally fine under wine as well, the company is further unmotivated to officially support a linux build of the game. " so, really read the article before posting about it !

i red it just fine :

this port is being done internally by their own developers, which isn't a huge surprise given their past public statements and already existing internal linux client work.
                so tell me now motherfucker what other game IS NOT A 'huge surprise' and has 'an already existing linux client' ??

Uh

fucking tell me . Starcraft 2? No

diable 3 ? ... No

wow? Yes

blizzard will just release what they already have putting minimum effort so they can milk that cow and get a few linux nerds to give them money

I played warcraft once for free and all, fuck me paying for playing a game

and it was the gayest shit I have ever seen:

" you need to go and collect 10 bat wings

you need to go and kill 15 spiders"

How about you just suck my 1 dick?

stupid games for stupid people

meanwhile good games like jagged alliance or infiltration that were already out on linux... nobody bothers repacking them
                Last edited by Pallidus; 07 January 2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

<snip/>
                  If you're looking for a ban, you can just ask. Politely.

Comment

I wouldn't PAY for a native Linux WoW client!

blizzard will just release what they already have putting minimum effort so they can milk that cow and get a few linux nerds to give them money
                    The Windows client for WoW is free - you pay to play. You can't play a MMORPG without connecting to their servers. You can even play WoW for free with a trial account - with severe limitations, of course. So suggesting that Blizzard would charge for a native Linux WoW client is absurd.

IMHO, releasing an existing WoW client would make sense. Linux subscribers are already paying Blizzard money and could only stand to gain. And what would Blizzard stand to lose either? If there were any glitches with the native client then the Linux users could switch straight back to Wine.

Comment

Concerning all of those posts about which game and the worth, I personally think that their aim is to bring an unofficial public beta for their tools. As mentioned, this particular game will not be cost efficient, but will grant them feedback about how well their launcher, engine and stuff works on Linux compared on the actual supported OS. Only fan of the game will be interested ? All right, they find a way to make it run, even with drivers issues and stuff like that. I see it as a test to add Linux as an official supported OS for their next games.

Comment

Working...
                      X