X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    And CKII should have its Linux port!!
    It seems to be just around the corner.
    I could install CKII as of today but it doesn't start ("...missing executable...") as it is
    the case with several other games which are installable in the Steam Linux client.
    Maybe Paradox Interactive provide you the beta password to unlock the game on Linux if you ask them kindly.

Comment

The buying power of 1%

Last I heard Steam has over 50 million accounts with them now, if only 1% of those are on Linux that is still 500,000 Linux accounts. Lets say a company like Bethesda had actually did a proper sale this past holiday and put Skyrim up for %75 off, and lets say every Linux user who was going to buy the game decided to buy it while it was discounted that drastically, and then say only 1 in 5 actually bought the game. Even in that situation Bethesda would still stand to gain 1.5 million in sales off a Linux port.

How hard can it be to port something like the Creation engine? Could a group of say 5 or so seasoned game developers with Linux experience do something like that in say 3 or even 6 months, or how about even a year? Let's say they are each making about 90 grand a year and for whatever reason it takes them a full year to do the port, that would still leave over a million dollars in profit if my low ball numbers above are even remotely accurate. Also worth noting is that many studios recycle engines from game to game, so once they do the initial Linux port, it will be even easier/cheaper to do further games that start from that same code base. I know all these numbers are just pure speculation, but it is still something worth thinking about (if any devs/publishers are reading this).
      Last edited by IanS; 06 January 2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Commander Keen 6 was so much better than 2.
        He talking about Crusader Kings 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          Given how desperate and at the same time organized we as Linux users are,
          I am pretty sure around 80% of potential users jumped at Steam the moment the beta was
          available, so I don't really expect the numbers to rise much further just by Steam getting
          better quality wise / more games.
          You missed the part where the only current reason to install Steam is to play Team Fortress 2. Currently every game listed on Steam has been availible on Gameolith and Desura for allot longer and as such if Linux gamers wanted to play them they have long since bought them on one of the other stores.

Valve is a day late and a dollar short on Linux since they have yet to port the rest of their own games that where mythically already running on Linux.

Compare for yourself
          Steam 41 Linux titles listed http://store.steampowered.com/browse...?snr=1_4_4__12
          Desura 229 Linux titles listed http://www.desura.com/platforms/set/linux

TL;DR No Portal? Piss off...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Sadly, the Steam client however still relies on 32-bit libraries (which means having to pull flash plugin shenanigans just to see the videos in the steam client on a 64-bit system that utilizes 64-browsers and plugins by default).
            I think they are working on that. Anyone noticed that:

This is from the VVVVVV key of the humble indie bundle. To bad the game isn't playable at all through steam atm.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
              To bad the game isn't playable at all through steam atm.
              Most games I have in the library can be installed but not played.
              Although the Steam client is still 'beta' - why are those games installable at all?
              That's a bit annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                I think they are working on that. Anyone noticed that:

This is from the VVVVVV key of the humble indie bundle. To bad the game isn't playable at all through steam atm.
                That has nothing to do with having a 64-bit version of the steam client executable. That's asking if you want to launch the 64-bit version of the executable of a game. The game does not operate within the steam client.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
                  Last I heard Steam has over 50 million accounts with them now, if only 1% of those are on Linux that is still 500,000 Linux accounts. Lets say a company like Bethesda had actually did a proper sale this past holiday and put Skyrim up for %75 off, and lets say every Linux user who was going to buy the game decided to buy it while it was discounted that drastically, and then say only 1 in 5 actually bought the game. Even in that situation Bethesda would still stand to gain 1.5 million in sales off a Linux port.
                  Great. Now compare that with the time and effort to port the game in the first place, adequate testing (wait, this is Bethdesia; never mind), and you realize you would lose money on such a venture, and decide to just stick on Windows.

In your calculations, you make the silly assumption the porting and testing process is free. Its not.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    That has nothing to do with having a 64-bit version of the steam client executable. That's asking if you want to launch the 64-bit version of the executable of a game. The game does not operate within the steam client.
                    But the Client dll must be a 64-bit version if the game runs as a 64-bit executable, the browser and the service can continue to run in 32-bit mode. Steam games being unable to run as 64-bit programs because the Steam client is 32-bit only is my biggest concern, apart from dependency issues with 32-bit libraries there's no real need to do a quick and dirty port to x64.

Comment

Originally posted by mememe View Post
                      But the Client dll must be a 64-bit version if the game runs as a 64-bit executable, the browser and the service can continue to run in 32-bit mode. Steam games being unable to run as 64-bit programs because the Steam client is 32-bit only is my biggest concern, apart from dependency issues with 32-bit libraries there's no real need to do a quick and dirty port to x64.
                      No it doesn't. Many of the games so far can be launched directly without even having the service running right from the folder. The client being 32-bit should also not prevent your from starting a 64-bit application just as you can launch a 64-bit application from a 32-bit version from konqueror. Steam on windows is also 32 bit but it still doesn't prevent the launching of the 64-bit executable games.
                      Last edited by deanjo; 07 January 2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X