Linux-Based Steam Console Reaffirmed For This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Last time I checked the US was ranked 34th in average home internet bandwidth. That was a few years ago, but I imagine it isnt much better now. DSL is only capapble of 6Mb/s. And that is only if you live real close the the junction. Otherwise its 3Mb/s or if you're further away it is just 1.5Mb/s. Thats Megabits. If you want MegaBytes divide by 8.. Most cable providers offer 3 tiers of bandwidth. 2Mb/s, 10Mb/s and 50Mb/s. Most folks choose 10Mb/s Sometimes you can choose a Turbo option which will allow large downloads to reach an extra few Mb/s second for an added fee of course.
    Huh, must be crap phone lines there - here in Finland DSL tops out at 24 Mbps, cable at 100 Mbps, fiber depends on the city, but starts at 100.

Comment

Last time I checked the US was ranked 34th in average home internet bandwidth. That was a few years ago, but I imagine it isnt much better now. DSL is only capapble of 6Mb/s. And that is only if you live real close the the junction. Otherwise its 3Mb/s or if you're further away it is just 1.5Mb/s. Thats Megabits. If you want MegaBytes divide by 8.. Most cable providers offer 3 tiers of bandwidth. 2Mb/s, 10Mb/s and 50Mb/s. Most folks choose 10Mb/s Sometimes you can choose a Turbo option which will allow large downloads to reach an extra few Mb/s second for an added fee of course.
      I work for a US DSL isp (and one in a rural state too). area's close to the CO can definitely get more than 6mbit, typically around 10-16 mbit depending on how close. Of course as you get farther away the speeds do tend to get quite bad in the rural areas, some areas barely reaching 1mbit. Luckily they are now in the process of switching completely over to 1gbit ftth.

Comment

Good News

This is good news! I was just contemplating buying a Wii U but no stores around me actually have one on display that you can try out. I guess it must be no good? I will just wait for the Linux-Based Steam Box to come out.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Huh, must be crap phone lines there - here in Finland DSL tops out at 24 Mbps, cable at 100 Mbps, fiber depends on the city, but starts at 100.
          Are you telling me you can download at 12MB/s? That is freakin awesome... I need to move to finland....

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
            I work for a US DSL isp (and one in a rural state too). area's close to the CO can definitely get more than 6mbit, typically around 10-16 mbit depending on how close. Of course as you get farther away the speeds do tend to get quite bad in the rural areas, some areas barely reaching 1mbit. Luckily they are now in the process of switching completely over to 1gbit ftth.
            When decided to move to cable I was using DSL. At that time the best they had was 6Mb/s. I live in a mid size city with a fairly large metro. Of course that was something like 5 years ago. I'm sure it must have improved since then. When I first stated using cable, the standard tier was 8Mb/s, but now it is 10Mb/s. I can sustain downloads at about 700KB/s or so. Sometimes it spikes higher than that, but that is about where it levels off. On very rare occasions it will hold a download at about 1.1-1.2MB/s
            Last edited by duby229; 04 January 2013, 09:06 PM.

Comment

When I first stated using cable, the standard tier was 8Mb/s, but now it is 10Mb/s. I can sustain downloads at about 700KB/s or so. Sometimes it spikes higher than that, but that is about where it levels off.
              Yea, that's pretty much my experience with cable internet as well. Good thing I'll be switching to fibre soon.

Comment

Are you telling me you can download at 12MB/s? That is freakin awesome... I need to move to finland....
                Yes, we actually get to near the rated speeds.

Me personally? Being a poor student, I have the cheapest DSL plan they offer - which is 8Mbps, they don't offer anything slower

I get something like 900kib/s from other countries, and a bit over one meg from Finland. (how that is possible, I don't have a clue, but downloading from funet goes at 1.1mib/s. FTP nonetheless, so no compression can explain that. Funet is our local university network.)

Comment

Here in Bulgaria, many things are just wrong, but Internet connection is not one of them. Right now I can get 95Mb/s Internet connection for 17 euro per month. It sustains 10MB/s when downloading torrents. It speed increases during night hours. The fiber goes to to building basements.
                  There is a way (and I am using it now) to get wireless Internet access 600Kb/s max, for 3 euros per month.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    Something wrong with it? It's the most popular distribution, so it's logical thing to use it. I prefer Kubuntu, but Ubuntu has better support.
                    If they do use Ubuntu - I wonder if they'll use the Ubuntu TV interface, and mix Big Picture mode in there.

Comment

Working...
                    X