Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OUYA Android-Based Game Console Starts Shipping

Phoronix: OUYA Android-Based Game Console Starts Shipping

The Kickstarter-backed company to produce OUYA, an original game console built around Google's Android Linux-based operating system, is beginning to ship their developer consoles and SDK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Agree with the article. Consoles have to be cutting edge else the risk being the bottom self sales item.

Ouya also doesn't break any boundaries. There are already plenty of set top boxes running ARM/Android that can take joysticks. It's important though that they set standards that buyer and developers can rely on, as in all the same joystick configurations and items supplied. The reason behind this is developers willl mainly target the mass install base standard so it should be high and solid to start with.

I'm also very critical of these crowd funding projects. I fear many are siphoning monies off for high salary positions or cash for buddy equipment.

Maybe they should beg Steam to add gaming option to their existing Stream client for Android and have it work well with Ouya.

Comment

The lady behind the project does come across as someone with a passion and history for gamers, so I wish them well.

The Ouya may promote Android to further bite into Microsoft's share of the market which can only be a good thing.

Comment

I'm hoping for the best at this point. I've got one console and 2 controllers which should get shipped with the rest of the consoles for users. If nothing else, I'll hopefully get a MythTV/XBMC front-end with a Super-NES emulator. At the best, I'll have a gaming console to hook up to the spare TV my wife and I are hoping to purchase.

Comment

I hope it succeeds, because I was hoping for something like this ever since Google announced Google TV 2 years ago. I'd really like to see more Android-base consoles.

That being said, I feel the same way about it not having a modern 2013 A15/OpenGL ES 3.0-based SoC when it arrives next year. I mean, it will be hard enough to become successful as it is - not having anything that exciting in terms of game performance and graphics is really disappointing. I mean Tegra 3 can barely support 1080p resolutions for crying out loud.

If I were them, I'd also release an OUYA+ or OUYA 2.0 this fall, with a high-end Exynos 5 Quad or Tegra 4 chip.

Comment

A correction to the article: Valve has NOT confirmed any Steam or Linux based console at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
              A correction to the article: Valve has NOT confirmed any Steam or Linux based console at all.
              They have confirmed it.
              Steam's Big Picture mode was just the first step: according to Valve boss Gabe Newell, you'll be able to buy a living-room-friendly PC package next year.

Wether it will run Linux has not been confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                They have confirmed it.
                Steam's Big Picture mode was just the first step: according to Valve boss Gabe Newell, you'll be able to buy a living-room-friendly PC package next year.

The chances them investing into Linux and not using it for console are 0.00%

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                  They have confirmed it.

Living room PC != console.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                    Living room PC != console.
                    I've heard Steam Linux console directly out of Gabe's mouth...
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X