No announcement yet.

OUYA Android-Based Game Console Starts Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I can't help but love projects like this, obviously it would never compete in the console market but it could carve a sustainable niche out for itself if it managed to create a decent software lineup with a steady stream of indie titles at the very least.

That however has changed in my opinion, with the now confirmed SteamBox which I believe will attract the same crowd that would have liked the OUYA, only the Steambox will be alot more attractive due to a wider range of games and (I assume) better hardware specs.

So I think Steambox will eat OUYA's proveribal lunch, question is if Steambox itself will be able to carve out more than a niche chunk of the console gaming market.

Comment

steam box isn't eating anyone's lunch

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
      Well I can't help but love projects like this, obviously it would never compete in the console market but it could carve a sustainable niche out for itself if it managed to create a decent software lineup with a steady stream of indie titles at the very least.

That however has changed in my opinion, with the now confirmed SteamBox which I believe will attract the same crowd that would have liked the OUYA, only the Steambox will be alot more attractive due to a wider range of games and (I assume) better hardware specs.

So I think Steambox will eat OUYA's proveribal lunch, question is if Steambox itself will be able to carve out more than a niche chunk of the console gaming market.
      steambox isn't eating anyone's lunch, this thing is probably 6-8 months away, imho you won't see steam box for more than 18 months. remember this thing has a bunch of games ready to go, a bunch of games ready to get ported since they'll also work on android phones or be trivial to convert.

It's $100 for a powerful arm machine with a free bluetooth controller. i don't really need this thing but i think i'll buy it just for that.

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedogs View Post
        steambox isn't eating anyone's lunch, this thing is probably 6-8 months away, imho you won't see steam box for more than 18 months. remember this thing has a bunch of games ready to go, a bunch of games ready to get ported since they'll also work on android phones or be trivial to convert.

It's $100 for a powerful arm machine with a free bluetooth controller. i don't really need this thing but i think i'll buy it just for that.
        It may be a great replacement for XBOX 1 for those that had XBMC. Still people are looking for a good workable low powered XBMC box. The offerings from China with the likes of Mele 1000/2000, are crud as they AllWinner Arm chip makers are restrictive in releasing source code for Linux developers. I would not recommend anyone buy Chinese set-top boxes in the hope someone will convert to Linux.

The thing I don't like about Android is its Java layer. I have never been a fan of Java.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          The thing I don't like about Android is its Java layer. I have never been a fan of Java.
          You're not restricted to Java in Android. With NDK you can use C and I think there are several scripting languages available.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
            You're not restricted to Java in Android. With NDK you can use C and I think there are several scripting languages available.
            You still need to make connections to Java if you plan to use the api's and UI?

I never really tried to program for Android.

Comment

I dont agree to Michael that the Steambox would be more great... because what is it a pc with a controller. And you miss the big point for the Ouya it is a perfekt mediacenter low power consumption. thats its main purpuse for that most people alone will pay the 100 bucks... and now they get additional some games for free, even if companies would not target that console much... I think it will get much love from opensource devs.

Yes it is not that powerful. but so what, the wii was basicly crappier than a xbox1 and was very successful, I know what I talk about I had one... I sold it, never came one good game... because the grafics-hardware was just so bad it basicly was impossible, no hdmi was the biggest problem, it was a nightmare to connect it to a monitor or to my beamer... and it looked terrible. yes the fun part was the controller, but after several hours of wii sports you will not play it anymore... and even the + motion update did not bring much more, it was just to late... they basicly agnoledged that the standard controller was not what they promoted it to be... if they would have the + version of the controller at the console start, it could been a good console even with the horrific grafics.

So again Ouya a great tv box that anybody needs anyway... and then you have some aditional softwarelove because its standardised hardware.

Anybody will buy google-tv or android-tv or something like that anyway... so why not buy a Ouya for that?

There is no way to not buy such a stick/box... its will be like you never have bought a usb-data-stick.

What do we have on the other side, maybe a cheap pc-replacement with a controller, with games that all come for pc too... then why should I buy it when I have a better pc. or its a expensive console to make it really fast... a "next next"gen konsole... yes that will not be cheep than >400 dollars? so it will have way less customers than a Ouya. But maybe I am wrong and the steam-"console" will become the next big thing... but on the other hand Sony and Microsoft have really big problems with their consoles... because anybody seems to play on android mobiles instead.... so I find it more likely that a cheap android console will be more convinient for most people...

good one thing that speeks for the Steam-box would be maybe that linux people would not need to have a special windows-pc just for gaming... but most people arent linux guys they buy windows anyway... they will even buy a windows lisense to put it on a 1st-gen netbook if its somehow possible to get it running ^^

Basicly Ouya itself is less powerful than Valve but basicly the battle here is between valve and google, and I think google will win this fight any day... there are many many android fanboys out there... they will ripping you anything out of your hands if there is a android logo on it...

I am not saying that the steam-box will fail or something... I just saying if you compare both projects I think Ouya will have more success and the " Valve's Linux-based game console is going to be much better" statement... or link... of course it will be better... it will cost 3-5 times more Money so it better be better... or dont release it if you want to not sell exactly 0 versions...
              Last edited by blackiwid; 29 December 2012, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Yes and using NDK is not something I would call easy or 'beautiful'.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                  Yeah, the NDK sucks to use. That said, it's certainly possible to use native code on android. Firefox, video players, etc. all do so.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                    This. The NDK and JNI/DNI are horrible enough to make you prefer Java for Android coding. Which also sucks, because Java.

Having spent a few months this fall trying Android development, I concluded it was much nicer than Windows Phone, but still something I wouldn't touch with a pole for fun/in my free time.

Comment

Working...
                    X