OUYA Android-Based Game Console Starts Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    Agree with the article. Consoles have to be cutting edge else the risk being the bottom self sales item.
    The Nintendo Wii would like to have a word with you.
    The problem I see with an Android based console is that Android games tend to suck. Better games can be developed, true, but that means the existing ecosystem won't be used to boost sales.

Comment

Agree with the article. Consoles have to be cutting edge else the risk being the bottom self sales item.
      This is wrong. Wii was the worst of the three consoles launched in the 2006-2008 timeframe.

PS3 was the strongest, then XBOX360 and then Wii.

Today Wii has the largest market of the three!!!

WII - 98 million sold
      XBOX360 73 million sold
      PS3 - 71 million sold

or the totals

1 Nintendo DS (DS) 153.88
      2 PlayStation 2 (PS2) 153.68
      3 Game Boy (GB) 118.69
      4 PlayStation (PS) 104.25
      5 Wii (Wii) 98.32
      6 Game Boy Advance (GBA) 81.51
      7 PlayStation Portable (PSP) 75.55
      8 Xbox 360 (X360) 73.02
      9 PlayStation 3 (PS3) 71.03
      10 Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) 61.91

(All from http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/ )

It is very hard to judge what makes it. I didn't believe in Wii, but I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
        It is very hard to judge what makes it. I didn't believe in Wii, but I was wrong.
        I think it is a good guess to say it was due to the innovative controller and the low price in comparison.
        Also they have some strong franchises with Mario and Zelda.

OUYA is lacking all that. Even the price isn't that low IMHO.
        Last edited by entropy; 28 December 2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I've heard Steam Linux console directly out of Gabe's mouth...
          Sounds great if you remember it correctly. But that is not a PUBLIC confirmation.

Comment

Well, I very much like the idea of OUYA, if not as the game console then as network attached media player with low power consumption and system open for 3rd party software.

Comment

To be honest, I don't think consoles are a good way to play games. You're (probably!) using a computer right now, so why not use it to play games? Computers are universal. They make consoles, tablets and to a lesser extent, smartphones, basically useless.

Comment

Ouya also doesn't break any boundaries. There are already plenty of set top boxes running ARM/Android that can take joysticks. It's important though that they set standards that buyer and developers can rely on, as in all the same joystick configurations and items supplied. The reason behind this is developers willl mainly target the mass install base standard so it should be high and solid to start with.

I'm also very critical of these crowd funding projects. I fear many are siphoning monies off for high salary positions or cash for buddy equipment.

Maybe they should beg Steam to add gaming option to their existing Stream client for Android and have it work well with Ouya.
                I personally disagree with you and the article on the cutting edge point. The biggest issue with new consoles is games, if you cannot get developers to target your console, it is bound to fail sooner or later, probably sooner. Cutting edge and custom manufactured hardware will mean much higher development cost and higher unit cost (the three big consoles use custom CPUs and GPUs). The Ouya profits from the fact that it should be fairly easy to get your Android games (and there are some big name titles for Android available, e.g. GTA 3) running on it. And don't forget that the Ouya is the only console that has some support for Freemium pricing models.

All in all, if there's an alternative console that has the chance to succeed, then it's the Ouya.

Comment

What the hell is up with that useless editorializing at the end of that news article? Couldn't the author's personal bias have been kept OUT of it altogether?

Lame...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    The Nintendo Wii would like to have a word with you.
                    The problem I see with an Android based console is that Android games tend to suck. Better games can be developed, true, but that means the existing ecosystem won't be used to boost sales.
                    Yeah funny, but Nintendo Wii has a new controller concept that every one had to have and try. They also had classics to rest on, as in Mario, Zelda, etc. Pity they couldn't supply RPG's and much of the other games were lousy.
                    Last edited by e8hffff; 29 December 2012, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      I think it is a good guess to say it was due to the innovative controller and the low price in comparison.
                      Also they have some strong franchises with Mario and Zelda.

OUYA is lacking all that. Even the price isn't that low IMHO.
                      Exactly.

Took the works out of my mouth.

Comment

Working...
                      X