Xoreos: An Open-Source Engine Of BioWare's Aurora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lapis View Post
    Copyright must be reduced to 5-10 years.Companies get a lot of money of projects in this period and never open source the code and art.
    People talk about business without knowing anything. How funny. If you want to give orders and be the boss, go and:
    1. Open you own company
    2. Pay all the needed
    3. Become friends of Banks
    4. Hire people
    5. Decide what to do tomorrow
    6. Hope your work will return investment
    7. If that doesn't happen, start doing some prayers and be sure Banks are still your friend.

And you come here telling a company WHAT TO DO AFTER 5 YEARS?

Get a life my friend. You're out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      People talk about business without knowing anything. How funny. If you want to give orders and be the boss, go and:
      1. Open you own company
      2. Pay all the needed
      4. Hire people
      7. If that doesn't happen, start doing some prayers and be sure Banks are still your friend.

Poor companies ,they need NINETY YEARS to pay all costs,because 5-10-15-20 years are not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMcCoy View Post
        But the big thing holding back further development is a complete overhaul of the graphics subsystem. Frankly, my OpenGL knowledge is very basic, and xoreos' graphics code is something I hacked together without much experience in how to do a proper 3D engine. It works, kinda, but not really efficient and without many of the features needed.
        Someone with knowledge in 3D graphics, and willingness and time to completely rewrite the whole subsystem would be very much appreciated.
        (Talking as someone completely ignorant, on a subject you already probably have though about)
        Isn't it possible to use an already existing engine ?
        I don't know, maybe the data is given in a non-classic way and it can't be adapted to a non ad-hoc engine ? I remember (when I contributed to neveredit - not the 3D part) that data was stored in some strange ways, but that was mostly the containers, I can't talk about the actual data.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
          1. Open you own company
          2. Pay all the needed
          4. Hire people

Who needs a bank when you have kickstarter?

The truth is that for most works greater than 95% of the economic rents are extracted in the first ten years. The long tail is largely a myth except when your talking about blockbuster hits or a few classics, stuff that is so popular and successful anyways that they hardly warrant the extra protection.

Copyright's intent is not to benefit business, but benefit the general public by promoting creative works. Having a vital common stock of fairly relevant material is an absolute boon to the creative industry and gives stock and encouragement to artists to go on their own and make something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post
            Isn't it possible to use an already existing engine ?
            Not really that easily, unfortunately. Some features, like PLT, layered textures with variable coloring that can be changed on-the-fly; and different texture-levels that can be changed any time, are quite specific and difficult to put into an existing engine.

Also, the two engines I looked at, Irrlicht and Ogre, are seriously lacking:

With Irrlicht, you can't change a lot of things (like the window size) without completely shutting down and restarting the whole thing, which of course destroys all geometry and stuff. Not what I want and need, sadly.

And Ogre's plugin and config system is just completely brain-dead: You actually need to hard-code a path into your executable. Moreover, the SDL and the Mac OS X backends silently ignore the request to make the window fixed-size, and several other parameters. Ogre is basically only focused on being shipped with the executable, and that on Windows. I know I'm not polite here, but I practically spent the whole two days I looked at Ogre constantly shaking my head and sighing.

All in all, the short foray I took looking into adapting/using an existing 3D engine left me depressed, angry and confused. :/
            Last edited by DrMcCoy; 24 December 2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X