THQ Is Looking At Bringing Their Games To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will just quote what I said about this elsewhere:

A pretty meaningless statement. Looking at it can mean a whole bunch of things and can can have a lot of different outcomes. Looking at it for which games? Which timeframes? How seriously are the considering it? Have they talked to any potential porters? Are they thinking of native ports or something using Winelib or the like, maybe both on a case by case basis? Lots of potential issues here. It could just be a loose thought by a couple of guys.

Comment

If they're "looking into it" from a "cost / benefit ratio" then it doesn't look good. I don't see any way they could re-coup the costs of porting a prior game, unless they find a creative way of contracting the job out (no pay, profit-sharing type of deal).

But if the company survives and they make a new game, there's probably a good chance they'll have a Linux version.

We've been beaten down for a long time, but things are changing.

Comment

I'm not sure if it's stupid to port those THQ HB games to Linux.

Ok, THQ needed money - and quick.
        So there was obviously no way to even consider porting them to Mac/Linux in time.

Don't you think this bundle could have *easily* made more than 10 Mio $
        if there were Mac and Linux ports available?

Does anybody has an idea how much Ryan takes for porting a "big game"?
        I guess he's busy right now. But OTOH, it's said he's quite quick.

Porting those games and setting up a new Linux+Mac bundle might still pay.

Comment

If I get Titan Quest and Supreme Commander I'd pay $100 for them, then I would have no reason to look enviously at my Windows disks.

Comment

They make a couple of alright games. Metro is pretty nice, for example. Good news if they actually pull the trigger, but the way things are going, I wouldn't be totally shocked if they did.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
              80% of THQ's financial difficulties:

The remaining 20%:

According to vgchartz the game has sold 2.4 million copies on all platforms: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/34846/homefront/

This article quotes THQ stating that at 2 million copies they will break even. http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar...front-20110326

It's clear their failure to make any kid oriented games that kids actually wanted to play and their move to ramp up production of udraw after it sold over a million units was their undoing.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
                If I get Titan Quest and Supreme Commander I'd pay $100 for them, then I would have no reason to look enviously at my Windows disks.
                Supreme Commander is not owned by THQ. They'd likely have to go through the current owners of the franchise, and may also need approval of the owners of the tech (GPG).

THQ does have some great games though, not sure why people think they haven't done anything recently. Saint's Row is quite popular, Darksiders did okay, Dawn of War (especially the second one) is a very popular and well-done RTS, Company of Heroes was a groundbreaking and popular series, the Red Faction games have been quite popular, and let's not forget the Metro 2033 series which has done very well.

So far as a Linux port helping them out... it won't. Big AAA studios fail because they make $100,000,000 games, which in turn requires millions of sales _just to break even_. If even one or two of those games does not do well, they're out ridiculous sums of money. If those flops happen all in a row in a short time span, that can easily put the company into bankruptcy. THQ had such a few missteps in recent years. If the preponderance of Windows and XBox gamers did not make up enough sales to make those games profitable, it is utter insanity to think that the Linux gaming market is going to make up the difference on its own. Still, when a company is trying anything to survive, they'll... well, they'll try anything to survive. Including dumping a bit of cash into a port in the hopes it at least makes enough profit to slightly offset bankruptcy... maybe offset it just enough that they can stay in business long enough to get another hit game out on the market, and let the Windows/XBox gamers numbers of sales push them back into profitability. Point being, Linux releases now may just be a last-ditch effort to survive, not any indication that they will care in the least about such a small market if/when they return to profitability and are making 95+% of their sales from users of Windows and the proprietary consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                  So far as a Linux port helping them out... it won't. Big AAA studios fail because they make $100,000,000 games, which in turn requires millions of sales _just to break even_. If even one or two of those games does not do well, they're out ridiculous sums of money. If those flops happen all in a row in a short time span, that can easily put the company into bankruptcy. THQ had such a few missteps in recent years. If the preponderance of Windows and XBox gamers did not make up enough sales to make those games profitable, it is utter insanity to think that the Linux gaming market is going to make up the difference on its own. Still, when a company is trying anything to survive, they'll... well, they'll try anything to survive. Including dumping a bit of cash into a port in the hopes it at least makes enough profit to slightly offset bankruptcy... maybe offset it just enough that they can stay in business long enough to get another hit game out on the market, and let the Windows/XBox gamers numbers of sales push them back into profitability. Point being, Linux releases now may just be a last-ditch effort to survive, not any indication that they will care in the least about such a small market if/when they return to profitability and are making 95+% of their sales from users of Windows and the proprietary consoles.
                  While I agree that porting games to Linux won't exactly save them from bankruptcy, I don't see it as "utter insanity". I really doubt that THQ is going to bank on the Linux or OSX market to save them from their financial troubles. It's more likely that the volume of feedback they've gotten from the THQ Bundle has just made Jason Rubin re-evaluate THQ's stance on the market for the platform. It's a good step that they're even considering it (and I hope Valve contact them about the potential 'Steam Box' or their much-Phoronix-hyped Linux plans to help push the cost/benefit analysis in favour of doing so).

It's strange - I have this idea from some of your previous posts that you're a game dev of some sort (too busy to look through your post history - I'm at work). Why do you seem to have a negative view when it comes to games being available cross-platform? If a game engine is developed from the start with the intention of being cross-platform, or even if an existing engine is made cross-platform with the intention of being re-used for multiple games, then I'd think it's unlikely to be a monetary burden on a company and instead will _make_ money. It may make a fraction of money compared to their target console & Windows market, but it'd still be profitable. Wouldn't you agree?

Comment

LET'S MAKE THIS CLEAR:

I own Company of Heroes in DVD (The complete collection)

I own Company of Heroes in Steam (but don't use because i prefer to use DVD)

If you gonna make it to LINUX and CHARGE for it for already owners...well, measures have to be taken...I WILL BUY IT AGAIN. Period.

THAT's how much i like AND love that game.

...and DON'T FORGET TO MAKE THE VERSION FOR LINUX OF COMPANY OF HEROES 2.

Comment

Actually

Modern Warfare 3 copied alot from Home Front's multiplayer. Drones namely.

The vehicular KOMBAT is superb. I mean driving a Humvee around and poping up into the 50cal then back to the drivers seat to run over enemies is something I haven't seen since Battlefield 2. I had fun with this title. The chopper flying is wild.

Seriously the game sold well i think. Funny thing is walking into Target and seeing Modern Warefare 3 discounted to like 20$ on black friday. They can't seem to sell the games. Then you read the press and they've sold 8 billion copies of the newest Call of Duty. What's going on here?

Windows 8 sales are dismal but Microsoft states they've sold millions. To who? The stores? Not consumers.

With these game companies jumping ship something is coming down the pipe from Microsoft.

Originally posted by directhex View Post
                      80% of THQ's financial difficulties:

The remaining 20%:

Comment

Working...
                      X