No announcement yet.

Gabe Talks More About Valve's Next-Gen Linux Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You definitely should switch to "xboxdrv". Not only does it set the LEDs correctly, even when using the wireless dongle, but it is infinitely more configurable. Check out the man page on the website. One of the best options this driver has is "--mimic-xpad", which creates a virtual joystick device that looks identical to a wired Xbox360 controller w/ kernel xpad module. This is kind of like x360ce does on Windows, for those familar with that. You can even map a generic /dev/input/ device if you wanted. Xboxdrv even works with PS3 controllers, allowing you do mimic the Xbox360. Unfortunately only over USB for that.

Unfortunately, just like on Windows, a lot of games only work well with Xbox 360 controllers. It seems like these days, games either don't support any other controllers, or don't have proper joystick configuration anymore. With a lot of the ports these days, it's the same on Linux. They only really work well with xpad module, which sucks.

Games that work well with "xboxdrv --mimic-xpad": Trine 2, Serious Sam 3, Team Fortress 2. Trine 2 in particular has horrible joystick configuration. It never worked for me without doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
      You definitely should switch to "xboxdrv". Not only does it set the LEDs correctly, even when using the wireless dongle, but it is infinitely more configurable.
      Gave it a try. It works. But it's awful to use.

This is supposed to be a "gaming platform?" Doesn't look like that way to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

This is supposed to be a "gaming platform?" Doesn't look like that way to me.
        No, it's not. We won't call it a gaming platform until at the very least it's out of beta, including some hardware which is specifically vendor supported for the platform. Other stuff will probably work, but anything above and beyond is a bonus, and you should take your hardware specific issues up with the hardware vendors.

Why you being such a twat about it?

Comment

I'm curious what's hard about it? That it's a command line program? It's no harder than what people go through on windows with x360ce, copying dlls around from directory to directory. Set it to run at boot and it's a done deal.

Comment

First of, I don't care. I use Windows for games. I'm just commenting on the ridiculousness of even considering Linux as a gaming platform. Sending people back to the MS-DOS days of command lines and manual text file configuration sure is gonna attract lots of gamers.

Comment

First of, I don't care. I use Windows for games. I'm just commenting on the ridiculousness of even considering Linux as a gaming platform. Sending people back to the MS-DOS days of command lines and manual text file configuration sure is gonna attract lots of gamers.
              Most gamers are familiar with editing text-based configs and in particular holding onto those files to save when they do a reinstall or an upgrade. Its not typically gamers you'll need to worry about, most of them are at least somewhat savy. That said, I agree, you shouldn't ever need to use the command line for everyday desktop chores and setting up hardware. Its a failure of the way we do things and at the very least a lack of decent configuration tools. This simply means theres an area that needs improved on though, not that the system cannot support this. Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if you could knock up a configuration GUI yourself.

However, once again, we're talking about a platform which typically hasn't been a serious gaming platform, which has never typically had vendor support. We're talking about a future platform based on recent news and a massive gaming vendor supporting it. Yet, today, I can still download and play native TF2, even with an xbox controller if I want, and you don't think thats a cause to be positive about the prospective future?

Comment

Heard of FOSS games?

I have a desktop which runs Xubuntu only (no Windows). I play games on it just fine, the NVIDIA driver and sound work OOTB.

Comment

This isn't a bazillion dollar corporation driven platform with a monopoly on hardware vendors like Microsoft. We (those who wish to game on Linux) have to help Linux grow as a gaming platform instead of instantly dismissing it and just falling back to Windows. Companies like Valve are helping us average Joes now but of course even their platform is in beta.

Patience and perseverance is key.

Comment

Nice way of dodging the question, but I take it that "have to use the command line == It's aweful to use"?

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                      Nice way of dodging the question, but I take it that "have to use the command line == It's aweful to use"?
                      The kernel driver should be just working. But since it doesn't, we get to have an adventure on the interwebs on how to solve the problem. The recommendation then is to not use the kernel driver, but some 3rd party userspace driver instead, which has then to be configured through arcane acts of UNIX guru black magic.

Instead, how it should be working to begin with, is:

* Connect by gamepad.
                      * Play games.

I rest my case.

Comment

Working...
                      X