No announcement yet.

Gabe Talks More About Valve's Next-Gen Linux Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing. As soon as someone points out something obvious, the troll parade arrives. I merely pointed out one of the shortcomings, which is why I believe that Linux can't make it in this market. Of course there are good and valid reasons for these problems most of the time. Yes, something doesn't work and there's a reason for it. Good. It still doesn't work. Knowing why doesn't help you.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Amazing. As soon as someone points out something obvious, the troll parade arrives. I merely pointed out one of the shortcomings, which is why I believe that Linux can't make it in this market. Of course there are good and valid reasons for these problems most of the time. Yes, something doesn't work and there's a reason for it. Good. It still doesn't work. Knowing why doesn't help you.
      Again, does it work when you plug it into your Wii? How is using your argument against other platforms "trolling"? You haven't actually made a decent point, really.

Comment

Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
        Again, does it work when you plug it into your Wii? How is using your argument against other platforms "trolling"? You haven't actually made a decent point, really.
        I wasn't aware that the Wii is a platform where you can run Linux kernel drivers. I must have missed the memo.

Comment

I wasn't aware that the Wii is a platform where you can run Linux kernel drivers. I must have missed the memo.
          So you don't think the Wii has a kernel and drivers or are you prohibiting your complaint to only Linux for some reason?

Tell me, whats the difference that makes it so Linux cant be a gaming platform because you Xbox controller lights flicker, which means that same argument doesn't apply to the Wii or the Playstation?

Whats next, complaining that CDs don't work in your tape drive?

Comment

Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
            So you don't think the Wii has a kernel and drivers or are you prohibiting your complaint to only Linux for some reason?

Tell me, whats the difference that makes it so Linux cant be a gaming platform because you Xbox controller lights flicker, which means that same argument doesn't apply to the Wii or the Playstation?

Whats next, complaining that CDs don't work in your tape drive?
            The difference is that a userspace driver actually works but no one cares to fix the kernel driver.

Lack of interest. Note how a horde of kernel devs rush to the rescue when a "regression" is spotted that makes PostgreSQL run queries 24 nanoseconds slower on some 200-disk RAID cluster running on a 64 CPUs 12 cores each setup.

Linux is not run by people who care about video games.
            Last edited by RealNC; 18 December 2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

The difference is that a userspace driver actually works but no one cares to fix the kernel driver.

Lack of interest. Note how a horde of kernel devs rush to the rescue when a "regression" is spotted that makes PostgreSQL run queries 24 nanoseconds slower on some 200-disk RAID cluster running on a 64 CPUs 12 cores each setup.

Linux is not run by people who care about video games.
              Oh, so you raised a bug and they told you they've replicated your issue but just don't care?

Maybe the difference is people running PostgreSQL, of which there are probably many more of, actually play their part in the community.

Comment

Working...
              X