X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomato
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Yeah, two-minute boots sure make for a popular Steambox.
    that was about a LiveCD, I'd guess Steambox will have some kind of permanent storage on which the compiled modules can be saved. That's what basically all linux distributions do. As I don't have nVidia card I don't know how they behave, but it usually is accomplished using DKMS.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    AFAIK the usual model is to install the drivers when a new system is booted for the first time but not on subsequent boots.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by tomato View Post
    if you compile them on every start, then there should be no issue
    Yeah, two-minute boots sure make for a popular Steambox.

Leave a comment:

• tomato
    replied
    Originally posted by Rotgut View Post
    Wasn't there some sort of a bruhaha years ago when a livecd Linux distribution came with Nvidia and ATI proprietary drivers installed? People started claiming that it's a GPL violation and someone threatened to sue. My memory is shit so I might be remembering this wrong.
    if you compile them on every start, then there should be no issue

Leave a comment:

• Rotgut
    replied
    Originally posted by KameZero View Post
    What? Of course you can.
    Wasn't there some sort of a bruhaha years ago when a livecd Linux distribution came with Nvidia and ATI proprietary drivers installed? People started claiming that it's a GPL violation and someone threatened to sue. My memory is shit so I might be remembering this wrong.

Leave a comment:

• KameZero
    replied
    Originally posted by Rotgut View Post
    Is Valve's Linux console going to use open source graphics drivers or does the user have to download and install proprietary drivers for it? As far as I know you can't ship Linux distribution with Nvidia or AMD proprietary drivers without violating the GPL.
    What? Of course you can.

Leave a comment:

• Rotgut
    replied
    Is Valve's Linux console going to use open source graphics drivers or does the user have to download and install proprietary drivers for it? As far as I know you can't ship Linux distribution with Nvidia or AMD proprietary drivers without violating the GPL.

Leave a comment:

• Sidicas
    replied
    Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
    Unfortunately many Linux games don't support gamepads well. Analog devices were basically useless but even USB devices had broken functionality. I tried a USB gamepad in Trine but couldn't aim with the thief.
    The aim for the thief needs to be linked to an analog stick. That's the key there. If your analog stick isn't working as expected, look for a little switch on the controller that flips from digital to analog. My Logitech rumblepads have this.

No problems at all beating Trine and Trine 2, playing together with my sister using two gamepads.. Although I admit, I played it under Windows as my gaming PC with 2x Watercooled GTX 470s runs Windows.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    Why is Phoronix so convinved it won't be locked down when all other websites including the original that spoke to him show Gabe clearly stating it will be locked down.

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com
    I think most are missing a key point they could be making. That While the box may be as locked down hardware wise as any console Valve may see an opportunity to gain allot of extra cash and content by including everything you could need to develop games for the SteamBox on the SteamBox.

Having even 1 in every 500~1000 people who own a SteamBox making their own $5~10 game would be a cashcow for Valve.

Leave a comment:

• ownagefool
    replied
    Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    Why is Phoronix so convinved it won't be locked down when all other websites including the original that spoke to him show Gabe clearly stating it will be locked down.

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com
    The Valve steambox hardware will be locked down, which probably means you're not going to be easily be able to install a different distro. However, that doesn't mean all the software needed to build your own won't be readily available too. I have a feeling we're going to be seeing binary drivers, but it really depends. Valve is in an interesting position where they want to be releasing next year. None of the solutions stand out, so it'll be interesting who they give the nod to for their steam box, and I have no doubt the software will play a big part in their decision.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X