Gabe Talks More About Valve's Next-Gen Linux Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diriel View Post
    That Valve has a team of engineers right? At least one of those engineers has game controller experience. When Gabe said controlled ecosystem, perhaps he meant his engineers would Make The Needed Peripherals?
    I hope that their venture will benefit the kernel in areas that not many people cared about ie. controllers. It would also be nice if you can use their console as a regular desktop PC. Boot in game mode >> play steam boot in PC mode >> do whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Well, dunno, when I connect my XBOX360 gamepad in Linux, it starts blinking and never stops. All 4 leds. Annoying as hell. If they can't fix even that, what would make me think that Linux is actually in a position to attract gamers.
      Maybe different gamepad? Or better download drivers from microsoft?

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        Just like how OS X is now a super successful gaming platform after Steam was launched there, right?

I mean, sure, there are actually more games on OS X now. Steam had a positive impact. OS X is still nowhere close to dethroning Windows as the PC gaming platform of choice, but OS X users have a lot more options to have fun these days than they used to. Linux will likewise see a positive impact from Steam, but it will continue to be missing large swaths of the best games available, just like OS X.
        Unlike OSX, Linux works with hardware that doesn't cost 4 digit numbers, is user-upgradable, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Well, dunno, when I connect my XBOX360 gamepad in Linux, it starts blinking and never stops. All 4 leds. Annoying as hell. If they can't fix even that, what would make me think that Linux is actually in a position to attract gamers.
          Mine works great using both the inline kernel driver and the and the user-space one. Though I do vaguely remember reading about users having problems with the kernel driver, the user-space one is really great, I use it because it allows me to arbitrarily remap buttons on the controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Milyardo View Post
            Mine works great using both the inline kernel driver and the and the user-space one. Though I do vaguely remember reading about users having problems with the kernel driver, the user-space one is really great, I use it because it allows me to arbitrarily remap buttons on the controller.
            I bought an XBox 360 controller (wired) recently and it works like charm.
            Way better gamepad than the old Logitech crap I had before.

Comment

Why is Phoronix so convinved it won't be locked down when all other websites including the original that spoke to him show Gabe clearly stating it will be locked down.

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                It would also be nice if you can use their console as a regular desktop PC. Boot in game mode >> play steam boot in PC mode >> do whatever.
                And how exactly would that be different from a regular dual-boot PC?.. If there was a switch for that that does not require a reboot,t hen yes, it would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                  Why is Phoronix so convinved it won't be locked down when all other websites including the original that spoke to him show Gabe clearly stating it will be locked down.

The Valve steambox hardware will be locked down, which probably means you're not going to be easily be able to install a different distro. However, that doesn't mean all the software needed to build your own won't be readily available too. I have a feeling we're going to be seeing binary drivers, but it really depends. Valve is in an interesting position where they want to be releasing next year. None of the solutions stand out, so it'll be interesting who they give the nod to for their steam box, and I have no doubt the software will play a big part in their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post

I think most are missing a key point they could be making. That While the box may be as locked down hardware wise as any console Valve may see an opportunity to gain allot of extra cash and content by including everything you could need to develop games for the SteamBox on the SteamBox.

Having even 1 in every 500~1000 people who own a SteamBox making their own $5~10 game would be a cashcow for Valve.

Comment

Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
                      Unfortunately many Linux games don't support gamepads well. Analog devices were basically useless but even USB devices had broken functionality. I tried a USB gamepad in Trine but couldn't aim with the thief.
                      The aim for the thief needs to be linked to an analog stick. That's the key there. If your analog stick isn't working as expected, look for a little switch on the controller that flips from digital to analog. My Logitech rumblepads have this.

No problems at all beating Trine and Trine 2, playing together with my sister using two gamepads.. Although I admit, I played it under Windows as my gaming PC with 2x Watercooled GTX 470s runs Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X