X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    Anyhow I don't understand what all the CLI hate is about I like the dual nature of Linux GUI/CLI.

Hunting for drivers and software in Windows is easy?
    It is. I find the driver (it's the easiest thing ever; just Google for "xbox360 controller driver windows" and I find the official download site), I install it, it works. I don't have to edit files and add background services in order to get my gamepad to work.

And this is only a single point of annoyance, mind you. I come across stuff that's not easy to set up quite often. System configuration in Linux is a major PITA.
    Last edited by RealNC; 12-18-2012, 12:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
    Which kernel are you using anyway?
    3.7.1. Just updated today. Same problem. All four LEDs are constantly blinking.

Leave a comment:

• ownagefool
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    Sorry it doesn't work for you. Works here.

Anyhow I don't understand what all the CLI hate is about I like the dual nature of Linux GUI/CLI.

Its not easy, and new stuff rarely works out of the box, but you do at least get it on the CD with a common installer.

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    That's great for you. I'm happy.

Doesn't work here.
    Sorry it doesn't work for you. Works here.

Leave a comment:

• ownagefool
    replied

Doesn't work here.
    Which kernel are you using anyway?

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
    Here is what I did:
    * Connect my gamepad.
    * Play games.

No LED issues and no issues in games. XPad module works great for me.

Doesn't work here.

Leave a comment:

• dalingrin
    replied
    The kernel driver should be just working. But since it doesn't, we get to have an adventure on the interwebs on how to solve the problem. The recommendation then is to not use the kernel driver, but some 3rd party userspace driver instead, which has then to be configured through arcane acts of UNIX guru black magic.

Instead, how it should be working to begin with, is:

* Connect by gamepad.
    * Play games.

I rest my case.
    Here is what I did:
    * Connect my gamepad.
    * Play games.

No LED issues and no issues in games. XPad module works great for me.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by benmoran View Post
    Nice way of dodging the question, but I take it that "have to use the command line == It's aweful to use"?
    The kernel driver should be just working. But since it doesn't, we get to have an adventure on the interwebs on how to solve the problem. The recommendation then is to not use the kernel driver, but some 3rd party userspace driver instead, which has then to be configured through arcane acts of UNIX guru black magic.

Instead, how it should be working to begin with, is:

* Connect by gamepad.
    * Play games.

I rest my case.

Leave a comment:

• benmoran
    replied
    First of, I don't care. I use Windows for games. I'm just commenting on the ridiculousness of even considering Linux as a gaming platform. Sending people back to the MS-DOS days of command lines and manual text file configuration sure is gonna attract lots of gamers.
    Nice way of dodging the question, but I take it that "have to use the command line == It's aweful to use"?

Leave a comment:

• ElderSnake
    replied
    First of, I don't care. I use Windows for games. I'm just commenting on the ridiculousness of even considering Linux as a gaming platform. Sending people back to the MS-DOS days of command lines and manual text file configuration sure is gonna attract lots of gamers.
    This isn't a bazillion dollar corporation driven platform with a monopoly on hardware vendors like Microsoft. We (those who wish to game on Linux) have to help Linux grow as a gaming platform instead of instantly dismissing it and just falling back to Windows. Companies like Valve are helping us average Joes now but of course even their platform is in beta.

Patience and perseverance is key.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X