Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• id Software Releases Doom 3 BFG Source-Code

Phoronix: id Software Releases Doom 3 BFG Source-Code

There's more good open-source news today besides NVIDIA publishing open-source 2D acceleration code for Tegra. id Software has just released the source-code to their new Doom 3 BFG game under the GPL license!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now release the Skyrim Source Code so we can build a native client for that.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Now release the Skyrim Source Code so we can build a native client for that.
      Hah don't count on it!

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com

Comment

Excellent Reporting

Bethesda _does not_ own id.

Both Bethesda and id are owned by ZeniMax Media. ZeniMax uses the Bethesda's name as publisher, for reasons that likely have to do with marketing (possibly they felt that Bethesda was a more well known name amongst today's gamers, or that id's name is more closely associated as a tech company rather than a game company).

This is similar to how EA is now slapping BioWare's name on all kinds of crap that has nothing to do with BioWare. BioWare doesn't own KlickNation, but EA renamed them to BioWare Social purely for marketing reasons. They're hoping that tons of people who'd never have even thought of spending money on KlickNation games will spend money on anything with BioWare's name. (In my opinion they're more likely to just destroy any value in the BioWare name and completely devalue their purchase of the company. Sigh.)

Comment

gamefly

I just made the mistake of purchasing doom3 BFG from gamefly's digital download ...

Cannot get it without win/mac or steam ...

Comment

I hope

I hope someone makes use of the source code
            Hope to see Doom 3 BFG Edition gets ported to Linux.

Hope to see the engine be used to power some open source game.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
              I just made the mistake of purchasing doom3 BFG from gamefly's digital download ...

Get your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post

Will the combination of Steam + Wine work to get the game downloaded? If you can do that, launch the game (to decompress the assets), and then you can possibly copy the assets into a natively-compiled version of the BFG source code.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                  Get your money back.
                  I got a response from my email asking the following:
                  Can I get my purchased game from the website ? Installing windows/mac or using steam is not an option...

Response:
                  Since this title uses Steamworks as it's activation service you will require steam in order to successfully activate this title.
                  Unfortunately since this is a digital purchase and the key for the game has been issued, we are unable to provide a refund for the title.

Ohh well, atleast I got the CD key ....
                  When steam comes out I should be able to download my purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    Will the combination of Steam + Wine work to get the game downloaded? If you can do that, launch the game (to decompress the assets), and then you can possibly copy the assets into a natively-compiled version of the BFG source code.
                    It probably would work, but I havn't used wine in over 6yrs and havn't used windows in 9yrs
                    I'd feel dirty

I'll just wait for steam, I prefer to only use native gnu/linux stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X