The Dark Mod For Doom 3 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by demagogue View Post
    Coming from the Dark Mod Team, I appreciate the mention!
    I'm very much impressed by the Dark Mod and tried it a year or two ago. If you don't mind me taking the opportunity to ask a bit about your engine advancements, I would like to ask the following:

Back then it was a major pain to get the Dark Mod to install and properly operate on Linux. This was due to the game having had *very* specific ideas on where to install stuff, and the defaults where the game expected its media did not fit my file system structure (e.g., all my games are at /mnt/data/games, not /usr/local/). Sadly, symbolic links did not work at all. Also to select a campaign one would have to select it ingame (which would apparently copy some files around?) and then restart the game, which would only work spuriously etc.

I think I read back in the days that the open source engine release would offer you the opportunity to rework the whole file system stuff to work "as expected" (unzip game and/or new campaigns wherevery you want, start, play). Any chance this already happened?

Comment

Just a note: it's released under CC-BY-NC-SA so it's not DFSG compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
        Another project worth mentioning is OpenRA - http://openra.res0l.net/ . If you liked the original Command & Conquer series from Westwood, you'll love it.
        First impression: a RA remake that's finally playable-complete? Yay!

Second impression: it uses Mono. Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by SavageX View Post
          I'm very much impressed by the Dark Mod and tried it a year or two ago. If you don't mind me taking the opportunity to ask a bit about your engine advancements, I would like to ask the following:

Back then it was a major pain to get the Dark Mod to install and properly operate on Linux. This was due to the game having had *very* specific ideas on where to install stuff, and the defaults where the game expected its media did not fit my file system structure (e.g., all my games are at /mnt/data/games, not /usr/local/). Sadly, symbolic links did not work at all. Also to select a campaign one would have to select it ingame (which would apparently copy some files around?) and then restart the game, which would only work spuriously etc.

I think I read back in the days that the open source engine release would offer you the opportunity to rework the whole file system stuff to work "as expected" (unzip game and/or new campaigns wherevery you want, start, play). Any chance this already happened?
          Some of the linux specifics stem from the idTech 4 (aka D3) engine way of doing things and we couldn't change some of them w/o access to the source code. However, now that we have merged the D3 GPL source and our source, there where already number of improvements done for v1.08 (done by taaki, and Serpentine):

The installation now only needs one directory /home/username/.doom3/darkmod/ and all the FMs are only under /home/username/.doom3/darkmod/fms/ and no longer copied on "install". The mod itself also does no longer restart to install/uninstall a mission, it just reloads all the assets. This fixes issues with duplicate files and directory confusion.

Also, symlinks work just find, you can f.i. put everything into: /home/username/foo/darkmod/ or wherever you like, and put symlinks like these:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 xx xx 36 2012-08-14 23:11 pak005.pk4 -> /home/xx/games/doom3/base/pak005.pk4

I know this works, because I'm using it on my system

When TDM goes stand-alone, even these symlinks to the D3 PK4s will go and everything should be self-contained inside one darkmod/ directory, which you can place wherever you like.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            Finish the game! Do the boring work! This can be a good game if only you actually finish it!
            Uh, the game was finished and released as a finished product on November 17, 2009.
            It's a finished game now! It's a great game now! The boring work has been done!
            There are already about 60 maps to play on it!
            I recommend everybody give it a download and a play.

Last month we released version 1.08 (backwards compatible to all the old maps). We are always improving the game all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by donald.patrick View Post
              Some of the linux specifics stem from the idTech 4 (aka D3) engine way of doing things and we couldn't change some of them w/o access to the source code. However, now that we have merged the D3 GPL source and our source, there where already number of improvements done for v1.08 (done by taaki, and Serpentine):

The installation now only needs one directory /home/username/.doom3/darkmod/ and all the FMs are only under /home/username/.doom3/darkmod/fms/ and no longer copied on "install". The mod itself also does no longer restart to install/uninstall a mission, it just reloads all the assets. This fixes issues with duplicate files and directory confusion.

Also, symlinks work just find, you can f.i. put everything into: /home/username/foo/darkmod/ or wherever you like, and put symlinks like these:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 xx xx 36 2012-08-14 23:11 pak005.pk4 -> /home/xx/games/doom3/base/pak005.pk4

I know this works, because I'm using it on my system

When TDM goes stand-alone, even these symlinks to the D3 PK4s will go and everything should be self-contained inside one darkmod/ directory, which you can place wherever you like.

=> I reported all this text from user "Tels" from DarkMod Forum. Tels it's a great contributor to the DarkMod project.

Sorry for not making the right attribution, Tels.

Comment

I remember the Thief games.

Comment

Working...
                X