No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Beta Opens Up To More Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well you would never get the source code, but you see of course the script(s). I am not in the beta as well and that really sucks. I would like to test SS3 for free. Btw with the exeception of TF 2 Beta you can try everything as normal user as well, just use:

steam steam://store

TF 2 Beta might be needed for some systems until the normal one gets all fixes. SS3 you can play without beta as well but you have to pay.
    Last edited by Kano; 22 November 2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      No problem, if Valve doesn't want me and my considerable debugging skills, they can eat shit and die. Nice to know they're picking Windows users and random bots for the beta instead of serious programmers who can find issues without the source code and maybe even fix them.
      Damn, that seems highly aggressive and cynical. I am sure the situation isn't as bad as you portray it to be.

Comment

"Open" is wrong. Steam is still a proprietary DRM jail that is not even publicly available to everyone that is horribly packaged like any other proprietary software (eg. lack of 64 bit which is a STANDARD today).

Comment

I'm not in the beta, I'm not spazzing out over not being in it, nor being a pita for them by trying to make it work either. It's an unfinished product that they're working on - that's pretty clear - so I'm waiting on until they finish it.

Comment

No problem, if Valve doesn't want me and my considerable debugging skills, they can eat shit and die. Nice to know they're picking Windows users and random bots for the beta instead of serious programmers who can find issues without the source code and maybe even fix them.
            Now hear the voice of butthurt...

(P.S. I just got my invitation!)

Comment

did they give a timeline on when they gonna release it or are they pulling a samba?

Comment

You should go debug your emotional state...

Comment

I think people should be glad they're able to play at all

I'm not in the beta, but I can't get TF2 (or anything else) to launch. I haven't heard of anybody else having this trouble. It tries to launch and Steam recognizes that I "played" the game today, but no joy.

Comment

Originally posted by konkor View Post
                    The Steam fail start after install and update with error message "Failed to load steamui.so..."
                    And Steam it's 32 bit application only?
                    Linux has spoilt us users for many years now with a fairly consistent and mostly 64 bit experience. So it feels a little 20th century to be running 32 bit apps these days. I am on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit. The client runs fine for me. I can't say that the 32bit-ness noticeably interferes with my enjoyment of Steam games on linux. Or at least, the 32bit-ness isn't noticeable over the beta-ness of the release.

I would have much preferred a "Steam Channel" in Ubuntu's software centre. This to me makes more sense as a user but I can see that would make no sense to Valve. Still, I am eternally grateful for Valve's efforts and look forward to devoting large sums of money to indulge my linux and gaming addiction without the need to reboot. And the future of Linux as a desktop platform just got brighter.

Comment

Well parts of the client are prepared to get a 64 bit update. Check
                      Code:
                      readlink ~/.steam/bin64
                      But it is not available right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X