One Year Later, Open-Source Doom 3 Is Moving Slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Separately, a major Linux game port will be announced soon."

A major Linux game port would have to be a port of a major game, right? Well given Phoronix's track record on the usage of the word "major" I highly doubt it will be actually major. IMHO, in order to qualify as major a game needs meet at least one, preferably more, of these criteria:

1. It is developed by a major development studio(Valve, id Software, Epic Games, Blizzard and the like).
    2. It is published by a major publisher(Take Two, Electronic Arts, Activision, Sega, ZeniMax, Ubisoft and the like).
    3. It was developed by more than 15 people.
    4. It has sold more than 1 Million Units.

Games like the Call of Duty series, the Gears of War series, the Halo series are major. Games that people have actually heard of, I mean your average Joe and not just gamers or people who read tech news sites. Valve is in the process of bringing some major games to Linux. They certainly qualify in that department but Valve revealing another port really wouldn't be major news at all at this point. I bet that whatever this is(assuming Michael has reliable sources on it) is either not major at all or it is a major game I have no interest in(like Borderlands 2 with its nauseating art style).

Comment

Working...
    X