Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Linux Beta Is Ramping Up

Phoronix: Valve's Linux Beta Is Ramping Up

Valve is adding more individuals to its select group of beta participants on a regular basis. So far things are going well for the Valve Linux beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

daww, i wanted you do do benchmarks :<(

oh well, im just ganna put it out here that i guess that the linux versions will be almost (but not completely) up to speed as the windows version, this is because of the translation and the fact that directx9 beats slightly its opengl counterpart, unless valve specifically upgraded parts to higher versions of opengl

welp, guess ill just have to hope for a beta soon. i think its about a 1/60 chance currently, and thats leaving a LOT of us in the dark.

Comment

Now the chance is: 1/59

Comment

Steam commercial

Me to friend on cellphone: Steam is coming to linux!
        Friend: Fuuuuuuuuuuuu!
        Me to grandma: Hey grandma, steam is coming to linux!
        Grandma: Fuuuuuuuuuu!
        Grandma to my girlfriend: Steam is coming to linux!
        Girlfriend: Fuuuuuuuuu!
        Friend to postman: Thanks, hey did you hear? Steam is coming to linux!
        Postman: Fuuuuuuuuu!
        Postman gets on cellphone: Hey honey did you hear steam is coming to linux!
        Postman's wife: Fuuuuuuuuu!
        Schmiegel from LOTR: We loves it! We needs it! Must____have___the precious!
        Wispering voice on the wind: Steeeeeeam is coooooming to liiiinux.
        Schmiegel: Fuuuuuuuuu!
        my friend: Fuuuuuuu!
        Me: Fuuuuuuu!
        GF: Fuuuuuu!
        Grandma: Fuuuuu!
        Postman: Fuuuuuu!
        Postmans wife: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
        Me to friend: So whadya gonna do after work tommorrow?
        Friend: I don't know,..... prolly grab a beer and play torchlight 2
        Me: Yeah me too.

Comment

The above made me grin.

Comment

I am in

YAHOO
            I am selected in Steam for Linux Beta testing

BOO WOO
            My ISP. Internet Speed less than 1mbps.

Comment

Did you select your internet speed in the client? That improves download speed.

I don't know if it should be funny when noobs get invites and others who already help others in the steam linux board get no invite. Certainly everybody can try now TF2, but thats not the game type i usually play. SS3 would be more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Did you select your internet speed in the client? That improves download speed.

I don't know if it should be funny when noobs get invites and others who already help others in the steam linux board get no invite. Certainly everybody can try now TF2, but thats not the game type i usually play. SS3 would be more interesting.
                I have not yet started testing.

"noob"
                well, I am using Linux since RedHat Linux 5.0 (Hurricane), release: December 1, 1997 (Linux 2.0.32-2)
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat...ersion_history

so, don't worry.

Comment

Well there are lots of Ubuntu noobs in the beta. It's not hard to help em to get steam running - in most cases intel users have got some problems because the steam.deb depends do not include oss driver depends. But it absolutely sucks when you help others and everybody else seems got get an invite only. It's also possible to get steam running on Debian wheezy with binary drivers, had no luck with mesa 8.0.4 and 9.0 (own debian experimental snapshot build). libc6 can be installed from experimental or extracted in the home.

Comment

Working...
                  X