Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Continues Improving Engine Quality

Phoronix: Unigine Continues Improving Engine Quality

With Valve's Source Engine now on Linux, Unigine Corp finally has greater competition for the spot of the most demanding and visually impressive game engine native to Linux. At this point it really comes down to a fight between the Source Engine and Unigine Engine with id Tech 5 and Unreal Engine 3 not being natively available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't the Unreal Engine available on Linux per the Killing Floor port?

Comment

Originally posted by Cybolic View Post
      Isn't the Unreal Engine available on Linux per the Killing Floor port?
      No, Killing floor use unreal engine 2.5. This version of the unreal engine runs native on linux, but everything upwards from unreal engine 2.5 doesn't run native on linux.

Comment

Unigine engine is a lie!

I tested the new engine with Unigine heaven 3.0 and it turns out that the OpenGL renderer is complete broken on my hardware:

The catalyst 12.6 makes 1,x FPS with openGL and the Radeon driver in Linux makes 3fps

And directX in win7 makes 27fps!

The unigine openGL renderer is broken by design for my hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
          The catalyst 12.6 makes 1,x FPS with openGL and the Radeon driver in Linux makes 3fps
          On the bright side, the OSS drivers are more than two times faster than the blob!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            On the bright side, the OSS drivers are more than two times faster than the blob!
            Yes right that result really stunned me... because I always thought the radeon driver is slow...

In fact the radeon driver is awesome! and fucking fast!

Its just the unigine engine what sucks on the OpenGL side.

Comment

Someone should send ihttp://www.icculus.org the news about Steam, I heard he had ported Unreal Engine 3... I think they may have been waiting for Steam to be ported over.
              Last edited by Laughing1; 16 November 2012, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
                Someone should send ihttp://www.icculus.org the news about Steam, I heard he had ported Unreal Engine 3... I think they may have been waiting for Steam to be ported over.
                He is not able to decide about Unreal Engine 3. You should address Epic Games, because they stopped the port.

Comment

"Lots of work for the impending Steam/linux release. New games, old games, and tools to support them. Fun times! " -Ryan Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    I find it interesting that they focus so much on tech side. Do we really need games that look that good? Because let's be honest here: if they make games that look like that you can pretty much be sure the gameplay sucks. They poured their money on tech and not on artists and level designers and writers. I'd rather have something with worse graphics that work on more configurations and great gameplay. Much like valve. Source engine is pretty much behind others but I still like their games more than any crysis.
                    Unigine is not a gaming company, they are a tech company. They have people who know how to program, not create games, so doing what you think would basically require them to fire all their existing employees and start from scratch with a completely new business model. More likely, they would just close the existing company and start a new one.

Comment

Working...
                    X