Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 4.0 Game Engine Released

Phoronix: Unity 4.0 Game Engine Released

The Unity 4.0 Game Engine was officially released today with this being the first major release of the popular cross-platform game engine to support Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Distance: A Next Generation Arcade Racer is a kickstarter (by some good friends of mine) which is doing a Linux version thanks to Unity 4. They've made their funding goal, but if you're interested in seeing a little more awesomeness, still feel free to toss them a few bucks and give them a shout out for Linux support. They promised a Linux version the second they got the Unity 4 beta in their hands and were able to make sure it would work, and are really geeked about it. You can also give them a vote on Steam Greenlight to help make sure that shiny new Steam Linux client actually has some awesome games on it.
    </shameless-friends-promotion>

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      Distance: A Next Generation Arcade Racer is a kickstarter (by some good friends of mine) which is doing a Linux version thanks to Unity 4. They've made their funding goal, but if you're interested in seeing a little more awesomeness, still feel free to toss them a few bucks and give them a shout out for Linux support. They promised a Linux version the second they got the Unity 4 beta in their hands and were able to make sure it would work, and are really geeked about it. You can also give them a vote on Steam Greenlight to help make sure that shiny new Steam Linux client actually has some awesome games on it.
      </shameless-friends-promotion>
      Thanks for the offtopic. Game looks awesome.

Comment

great news. This winter will be difficult for getting anything done, aside from gaming.

Comment

Code:
          if (Valve.linux_support && Unity3D.linux_support)
          {
              for (int i = 0; i != Windows.game_count; ++ i)
              {
                  Linux.game_count ++;
                  Linux.games.push_back(Windows.game[i]);

Consumers.happiness += HAPPINESS_PER_GAME;
                  Windows.fanboys_count -= Windows.game[i].fanboy_count;

if (Consumers.happiness >= Manufactures.consumer_demand_margin)
                  {
                      Manufactures.linux_computers ++;
                      Manufactures.windows_computers --;
                  }
              }
          }
          Last edited by F i L; 14 November 2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

...yeah... nice... not that you can run the Editor on Linux... not that you can, you know, CREATE stuff on Linux.... NOPE you can't do that right now, but if you have a Mac or Windows then you can make Linux games, if not, ummm then you don't deserve it anyway.

Unity FTW

Lightworks deja-vu

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
              ...yeah... nice... not that you can run the Editor on Linux... not that you can, you know, CREATE stuff on Linux.... NOPE you can't do that right now, but if you have a Mac or Windows then you can make Linux games, if not, ummm then you don't deserve it anyway.

Unity FTW
              Come on, they can't do everything at once.
              Just look at the top comment on the HN thread: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4783669

I'd think they'll port the development stuff to linux too if it is successful enough. Or have they said otherwise anywhere?

Comment

Still no Unity web plugin for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post

Unity FTW

Lightworks deja-vu
                  You can't really make it in the PC game industry right now without supporting Windows [and Mac, sorta]. So you're gonna need those platforms anyways. Don't get me wrong, I hope the editor is ported to Linux just as much as you. However, the Unity3D team only has so much time, and Linux isn't a huge priority for them, I'm sure.

That said, Unity3D is the most popular game-engine out there, with thousands of developers making games with it. Linux as a publishing platform means more developers will add Linux support to their games (cause they don't really have to do anything extra), especially with Valve's Steam platform pushing for Linux support. Linux is being setup to be a ripe and starving gaming market where the first semi-decent games ported will probably be very successful, thus increasing the larger community's interest in Linux as a publishing target.

It's a snowball effect. In a couple years, if everything goes smoothly, Linux will have enough quality games and developer interest that the Unity team will want to bring their editor to Linux. So be positive, things are looking up.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    Not really my type of game but I think I'll back this anyway because the graphics look so damn good (yes I'm that shallow), almost hypnotic.

Also impressive seeing the overall rise of quality in the indie game sector the past year(s), and while there's still a 'need' for middlemen who takes a cut (kickstarter, steam etc) I have no doubt it's a giant step up from working for EA and the likes as you are in full creative control and the lionsshare of the profits ends up back in the developers hands rather than shareholders/management bonuses.

Comment

Working...
                    X