No announcement yet.

The Steam Linux Beta Begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I downloaded that .deb and it worked perfectly with Xubuntu 12.04 64 bits (used gdebi). Unfortunately, after downloading 100MiB worth of client data it shows:

Unauthorized

This version of Steam is currently in closed beta.
    Login with an enrolled account to continue.
    I would like to note that the steam client won't let you move that dialog window, only pushing "ok" gets rid of it (and closes the client).

Funny enough it is now recommending me to upgrade the nvidia driver from 304 to 310, ah well.
    And yes, i did complete that survey... Disappointing.

Comment

Quite honestly i always preferred buy the DVD versions of the games or the standalone DD versions of them and avoid Steam at all in the case of Window$....even my last purchases of games weren't at Steam....

When Steam for Linux was announced , i was, nevertheless, extremely happy....but a bit thorn because i prefer to have more freedom ...i don't forget that there were games that once were sold at Steam and were removed....a CD or DVD gives more freedom to keep a game "alive" in the market and let's me resell my game copy....

When it was announced Steam for Linux i checked and asked in forums of the games if the games would appear at Steam or not and about DRM non-Steam version (i.e. Oil Rush foruns)....i was undecided tp what version of the games to buy....

Now i'm more decided....i prefer NOT to use Steam and continue tp use CD/DVD or a DD w/o DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Well I'm not going to promote Ubuntu as a distro to use. If you are going to promote something for "Linux" then mean it. It drives me nuts when people use Linux as a synonym for Ubuntu.
        This, exactly this.

When I signed up for beta (denied, arch) in the group postings there were a ton of Arch users, as well as slackware (surprised me the number) I am unsure if we were just trying to get noticed or if it was really that huge of a representation. Even in these forums I get the feeling there are a lot of Arch users. I really question Ubuntu's reign sometimes. I know several Mint users does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Well I'm not going to promote Ubuntu as a distro to use. If you are going to promote something for "Linux" then mean it. It drives me nuts when people use Linux as a synonym for Ubuntu.
          +1

Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
            This, exactly this.

When I signed up for beta (denied, arch) in the group postings there were a ton of Arch users, as well as slackware (surprised me the number) I am unsure if we were just trying to get noticed or if it was really that huge of a representation. Even in these forums I get the feeling there are a lot of Arch users. I really question Ubuntu's reign sometimes. I know several Mint users does that count?
            I get a feeling there are a small number of very active whinging Arch users. Give me a break I saw those postings and there was definitely no where near 60,000 postings which is how many users (vast majority stating Ubuntu as there distro) filled in the survey in the first week. Its clear that Ubuntu users are much happier and comfortable with there distro and dont feel the need to carry on so much which is why you don't see as many look at me I use Ubuntu posts.
            Or if you don't like what your reading you can continue to ignore logic and reason and go back to opposite world where everyone else but you is just making shit up on the spot to suit how they wish things really were.
            Last edited by timothyja; 07 November 2012, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
              This, exactly this.

Oh boo-hoo. I'm a Ubuntu user and I didn't get picked either. There was a 1/60 chance any one individual would make the first round; that's how probability works. I'm sorry you weren't lucky. I'm even sorrier this is how you deal with it.

If it makes you feel better, I've got the client installed and running as I type this, and I'm not in the Beta. (The only benefit I see so far is that it doesn't flake out like the version would under WINE.) Someone apparently has got the client repackaged for the Arch repos - not that unpacking a *.deb and installing manually is all that hard ... say, shouldn't this be right up your alley since you're an Arch fanboy?

Originally Posted by deanjo
              Why do you have a bug up your self-righteous ass about this? Valve has said (clearly and several times) that they'll be supporting more distros in the future, but they've chosen Ubuntu 12.04 (a five-year LTS, mind you) for the purposes of getting things off the ground. I don't know what you've got against Canonical, but I would not be surprised to learn that it is a petty issue grounded in paranoia and hubris.

Comment

Originally posted by aaannz View Post
                Just running `./steam.sh steam://open/friends` works for me.
                This worked and i can now use the steam client, and essentially see a lot of ads. Can't play a thing because none of my games have a linux choice I do hope they port Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2; Portal would be fun...

I use Ubuntu 12.04 but got excluded, maybe because: a) 64 bits, or b) xfce.
                Upgraded nvidia to nvidia-experimental-310, otherwise the client will nag me about it.

So chosen ones, what game they are providing? Left for Dead 2? Or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
                  This worked and i can now use the steam client, and essentially see a lot of ads. Can't play a thing because none of my games have a linux choice I do hope they port Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2; Portal would be fun...

I use Ubuntu 12.04 but got excluded, maybe because: a) 64 bits, or b) xfce.
                  Upgraded nvidia to nvidia-experimental-310, otherwise the client will nag me about it.

So chosen ones, what game they are providing? Left for Dead 2? Or something else?
                  TF2 is already ported and running well by all reports. Just it's still linked to beta accepted accounts, so you can't see it yet. Same with the other beta subs.

Comment

LOL, there is a way to not only install Steam client but also participate in the Beta even if you are not in the thousand selected:

Not sure if this is working as intended, but I know a lot (including me) are chomping at the bit to get going with STEAM on Linux: http://media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.deb if you dont have beta access you can still get into steam 1) install deb 2) log in and get beta only message 3) close steam 4) sign in to steam community https://steamcommunity.com/ and message a friend that is online 5) steam launches without 'beta only' message

Now....just to piss them off, i won't participate
                    Last edited by AJSB; 07 November 2012, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Wrong link, now it's fixed...

Comment

Working...
                      X