The Steam Linux Beta Begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    LOL, there is a way to not only install Steam client but also participate in the Beta even if you are not in the thousand selected:

Not sure if this is working as intended, but I know a lot (including me) are chomping at the bit to get going with STEAM on Linux: http://media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.deb if you dont have beta access you can still get into steam 1) install deb 2) log in and get beta only message 3) close steam 4) sign in to steam community https://steamcommunity.com/ and message a friend that is online 5) steam launches without 'beta only' message

Now....just to piss them off, i won't participate
    Well you can't participate in the whole beta exactly. You can use the Steam client itself, i.e browse games, store, community, chat to friends etc and play some indie games but you can't play any of the Source games or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
      Well you can't participate in the whole beta exactly. You can use the Steam client itself, i.e browse games, store, community, chat to friends etc and play some indie games but you can't play any of the Source games or anything.
      Ok, World of Goo (demo) works, what else its out there that we, unauthorized users can play?
      Unfortunately the store does not show which games work and which don't in linux.

I noticed the steam client wants flash, but it's not critical. I do have flash system wide installed, the last linux (non chrome) version that is.

Ah, it seems to be possible to install tf2 after all... sekrit url: steam://install/440 good stuff reddit ^^
      Last edited by Artemis3; 07 November 2012, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
        Ok, World of Goo (demo) works, what else its out there that we, unauthorized users can play?
        Unfortunately the store does not show which games work and which don't in linux.

I noticed the steam client wants flash, but it's not critical. I do have flash system wide installed, the last linux (non chrome) version that is.
        Amnesia works great

Only other ones I've personally tried are Uplink and yes, World of Goo

However there is a list, as seen in this G+ post: https://plus.google.com/u/0/10276686...ts/XbkZNofAjXp

So there's others there that work like Trine 2, Dungeons of Dredmore etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
          Oh boo-hoo. I'm a Ubuntu user and I didn't get picked either. There was a 1/60 chance any one individual would make the first round; that's how probability works. I'm sorry you weren't lucky. I'm even sorrier this is how you deal with it.

If it makes you feel better, I've got the client installed and running as I type this, and I'm not in the Beta. (The only benefit I see so far is that it doesn't flake out like the version would under WINE.) Someone apparently has got the client repackaged for the Arch repos - not that unpacking a *.deb and installing manually is all that hard ... say, shouldn't this be right up your alley since you're an Arch fanboy?

Why do you have a bug up your self-righteous ass about this? Valve has said (clearly and several times) that they'll be supporting more distros in the future, but they've chosen Ubuntu 12.04 (a five-year LTS, mind you) for the purposes of getting things off the ground. I don't know what you've got against Canonical, but I would not be surprised to learn that it is a petty issue grounded in paranoia and hubris.
          I wasn't complaining about not being picked was just giving the reason (was honest in the sign up). Honestly, your response is just sickening. Ubuntu users are apparently a snide bunch who can't ascertain meaning from written word. However, I am sorry you weren't picked.

What's wrong with being a Arch user? Silly troll's and fan this and boy that.

Ubuntu != Linux and honestly I don't understand the can only support xxx distribution mentality.

BOT... I can't believe that it's 32 bit centered that was one of the biggest requests was for native 64 or is it that's what they're just testing ATM?

Comment

*I* TOLD YOU that it would work didn't i ?

List of games is here:

...and i used it to check out UNITY OF COMMAND, find out their site....and i downloaded the STANDALONE Linux Demo

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
              I wasn't complaining about not being picked was just giving the reason (was honest in the sign up). Honestly, your response is just sickening. Ubuntu users are apparently a snide bunch who can't ascertain meaning from written word. However, I am sorry you weren't picked.

What's wrong with being a Arch user? Silly troll's and fan this and boy that.
              First, there's nothing wrong with being an Arch user. Secondly, it pleases me that you feel sick, because I think you're lying. Did you or did you not endorse deanjo's post saying:

Originally Posted by deanjo
              Well I'm not going to promote Ubuntu as a distro to use. (Hey, that sounds kind of vitriolic!) If you are going to promote something for "Linux" then mean it. It drives me nuts when people use Linux as a synonym for Ubuntu.
              Rhetorical question - yes you did. We've got logs. Saying "I use {insert your favorite flavor of Linux here} and a piece of closed beta software wasn't packaged for me" gets me going because it's stupid. Would you be complaining if they said "we're building Steam on Arch first, and then we'll spread out to some of the more popular distros"? Also, I suggest you check your AUR repositories because I've read that someone has already deconstructed the *.deb and repackaged it for Arch. And it works. The god damned thing works.

Ubuntu != Linux
              Funny, I thought I was running a Linux machine. But I understand what you mean. No one distro is all of Linux. However support of any distro IS support of Linux.

and honestly I don't understand the can only support xxx distribution mentality.
              The reason that doesn't make sense is because nobody involved with the project has ever said it. Valve has never, to my knowledge, said they can only support one flavor of Linux. Shall I direct you to their relevant statements saying they're starting with Ubuntu 12.04 (because of the size of the userbase and the fact that it's a LTS release), or will you just take my word for it? It's not like you're trying to run Amiga software on your Arch box, either. In fact, I challenge you to name a linux distro on which the Steam beta client won't run (as I've heard nothing about this to date). It's just officially supported right now on 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04.

This is a massive undertaking, and they chose to start with Ubuntu because of its popularity and Canonical's support. That is not a Bad Thing.

And while we're at it, fuck GOG too. They've offered nothing to the Linux ecosystem, yet they bash Valve for beginning with Ubuntu.

BOT... I can't believe that it's 32 bit centered that was one of the biggest requests was for native 64 or is it that's what they're just testing ATM?
              As to the 32 bit decision, I'd guess that they're basing that off of their survey data with people running under WINE. And it strikes me that it makes more sense to do a 32 bit package because both 32 bit and 64 bit users can run it - it hits the broadest audience (i.e. everybody).

Comment

It was clear that libc6 2.15 was used, but it is still possibe that you can run it on debian. The depends are wrong for debian and they seem to rely on the "feature" that ubuntu installs recommended packages as well by default. I wrote a script for debian wheezy/sid that has 2 modes, as root it installs first pulse audio and then lots of depends (but not all) for the steam deb, then i dl steam, patch the depends to match on debian and install it. That only works correctly when the system was configured as multiarch (incl. the binary drivers). I mainly wrote it for a Kanotix Dragonfire installs, but should work somewhere else as well.

As user the script fetches libc6 from ubuntu and extracts it into the steam lib dir. That's the main trick needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
                  As to the 32 bit decision, I'd guess that they're basing that off of their survey data with people running under WINE. And it strikes me that it makes more sense to do a 32 bit package because both 32 bit and 64 bit users can run it - it hits the broadest audience (i.e. everybody).
                  No freaking way the majority said they're running a 32 bit system. This isn't Windows. And guess what you'll get when you gather the data from the people who run Steam through Wine. They use 32 bit. BECAUSE THE GOD DAMN CLIENT IS 32 BIT and you need a 32 bit wine enviroment to do that.

I hate people who embrace their 20th century technology so much and delay the progress of technology for all of us. There is no single solitary reason why we need 32 Bit programs in the year 2012. My dad bought an old used office PC for under 50 USD. Guess what it has a Pentium 4 and that's already 64 bit capable. If you have a shitty ancient computer that is so old that it has ghosts inside of it, you won't be doing much steam gaming anyway.
                  Last edited by blackout23; 07 November 2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

did someone actually got that Team Fortress 2 game installed while not being in the 'official' closed beta? I only get a 'servers are busy' message and the guys on reddit get the same.

But as someone on reddit already said: This thing is not even out for more than a day and Linux users already managed to crack it open. That's like sitting in front of the christmas tree (european christmas version) and having managed to get a part of your presents while you should've waited until your older siblings opened their presents.

Comment

No, but try:

xdg-open steam://run/22010

Comment

Working...
                      X