The Steam Linux Beta Begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
    its because he dont know that in english. the date is 2012-11-06. and in other countries like mine (Denmark). it is 2012-06-11. it is backwards
    oh my strogg, it's 11.06.2012, obviously. Get your writing right.

Comment

Steam Big Picture mode beta is included aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
        They had 60,000 applications!!!

and only 1,000 'tickets'...

You're not the only one
        My hunch is they're focusing on 32-bit Ubuntu first. I should have lied and said I had 32-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
          its because he dont know that in english. the date is 2012-11-06. and in other countries like mine (Denmark). it is 2012-06-11. it is backwards
          Actually it's 06/11/2012 (one more Dane here). 2012-11-06 is an international format.

Comment

There's a workaround so that everyone can use Steam right now But only Steam itself and the indie games, not the Source engine games.

Everything is working perfect for me with fglrx and Ubuntu+Unity. Even Steam Big Picture mode and even the Steam Community Overlay toggled with Shift+Tab ingame Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              There's a workaround so that everyone can use Steam right now But only Steam itself and the indie games, not the Source engine games.

Everything is working perfect for me with fglrx and Ubuntu+Unity. Even Steam Big Picture mode and even the Steam Community Overlay toggled with Shift+Tab ingame Awesome.
              tell us your secrets, where is the workaround?

Comment

Originally posted by lamiska View Post
                tell us your secrets, where is the workaround?
                Not sure if it works without Unity. With Ubuntu/Unity, open Steam with rightclick on Steam on the Unity launcher, then click on "friends". Then in the friends window rightclick a friend and chose "view Steam community profile". Then the main Steam window opens without restrictions

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  My hunch is they're focusing on 32-bit Ubuntu first. I should have lied and said I had 32-bit.
                  That's correct.

Code:
                  $file ubuntu12_32/steam
                  ubuntu12_32/steam: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=0xd7c10225333018a3a37cc08fc9439552cda549e7, not stripped

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    Not sure if it works without Unity. With Ubuntu/Unity, open Steam with rightclick on Steam on the Unity launcher, then click on "friends". Then in the friends window rightclick a friend and chose "view Steam community profile". Then the main Steam window opens without restrictions
                    Just running `./steam.sh steam://open/friends` works for me.

I'm running radeon (r600) driver (HD4850) and so far its working. BigPicture intro animation is rather slow but rest is working. Game overlay is working with World of Goo which is the only game I successfully started.
                    There is an issue with missing tray icon in KDE 4.9.3, so after closing all windows, steam is running in background but another execution of `./steam.sh steam://open/friends` will open friend window again.

Comment

Seams this trick might only work with 32bit installations of ubuntu. Steam installs and launches but interaction with the mouse is shotty.

Comment

Working...
                      X