Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    These valve people are really strange.

they check for so many stupid things : Windows/Wine windows-clind-steam usage,Flashplayer installed, then if you want to join the beta you need to fake your distro : Ubuntu and you need to use closed source drivers for Nvidia+AMD the only opensource driver supported is intel and so one and so one.

they really only want brain-damaged people.
    The assumption that only technically competent people should use linux is beyond stupid. Ubuntu not a "real" distro. FFS they made linux far more popular and helped making it easier for everyone.

As for the drivers they need performance and want to provide a nice experience to the people using their products.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      The assumption that only technically competent people should use linux is beyond stupid. Ubuntu not a "real" distro. FFS they made linux far more popular and helped making it easier for everyone.

As for the drivers they need performance and want to provide a nice experience to the people using their products.
      ??????? is was not my assumption someone without any clue just use the opensource radeon/noveau driver because they don't have any clue how to install the closed source drivers.

my assumption is that they really want brain damaged people who think that the installation of a closed source driver makes anything easier in the linux world.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
        The irony is that the Steam for Linux community chat only works through Steam, which we still don't have a client for.
        FALSE, I just completed the survey via Opera ( the client could not find the Linux beta group lol), the boxes are there and you can use them to select distro and such, you can do it without any Windows or WINE run client, just register a free Steam account and visit the link.
        On a different thought, since you register with your ID and they have ID + System Info where they list WINE version and hardware specs, having and ID, having bought games ( important point one might guess ), having run Steam via WINE ( even WINE -git was detected yeah ), might improve your chances to access beta, well I hope.

Comment

??????? is was not my assumption someone without any clue just use the opensource radeon/noveau driver because they don't have any clue how to install the closed source drivers.

my assumption is that they really want brain damaged people who think that the installation of a closed source driver makes anything easier in the linux world.
          The first sentence was a general comment. The second -for the drivers- was for you. I should have arranged the message differently but i was lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
            FALSE, I just completed the survey via Opera ( the client could not find the Linux beta group lol), the boxes are there and you can use them to select distro and such, you can do it without any Windows or WINE run client, just register a free Steam account and visit the link.
            On a different thought, since you register with your ID and they have ID + System Info where they list WINE version and hardware specs, having and ID, having bought games ( important point one might guess ), having run Steam via WINE ( even WINE -git was detected yeah ), might improve your chances to access beta, well I hope.
            What is the link fro the group ?!? i forgot to click it before closed window and have no clue what it is

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              The first sentence was a general comment. The second -for the drivers- was for you. I should have arranged the message differently but i was lazy.
              OK no problem but i used the closed source drivers for years and it is a pain in the ass!

I use the open-source driver Radeon because I'm lazy and i never had any real problem with it.

But i had many problems with the closed source drivers... i mean real big problems.

So no thank you valve should just go fuck them self!

Comment

for the users it makes everything easier. That's just the way it is...

Comment

OK no problem but i used the closed source drivers for years and it is a pain in the ass!

I use the open-source driver Radeon because I'm lazy and i never had any real problem with it.

But i had many problems with the closed source drivers... i mean real big problems.

So no thank you valve should just go fuck them self!
                  I expect that during the beta period a number of people will test the FOSS drivers and the devs will fix any problems. I was hopping that the intel guys that have the code might test it but i don't think this happened.

I understand valve. They wanted to reach a wide audience with this move and give a pleasant experience. Hence the Ubuntu and blob choices. They wouldn't have reached the same audience if they targeted Slackware.

Comment

Steam Beta For Linux Possibly Launching At UDS On Monday

Steam Beta For Linux Possibly Launching At UDS On Monday

Comment

Well from those 3 games i would like to test serious sam 3 as i know the old game part 1 + 2. I thought an uncut version of l4d2 would be nice to test

Comment

Working...
                      X