No announcement yet.

Apply To Be Part Of The Valve Linux Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The survey got some fixes. You can re-apply or edit your information if you had problems before.

Comment

How will users know if they were part of the 1,000 who were invited into the beta? Will they be receiving emails? Also, will it be clear to everyone who wasn't accepted that they weren't accepted?

Originally posted by Frank (VALVE)
      You will be getting an email indicating acceptance into the limited beta and instructions on getting started.
      We are currently in the process of choosing the participants. Stay tuned and thanks for your patience.
      Let's see if this means that the limited beta starts soon.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
        http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...64760856270936
        Let's see if this means that the limited beta starts soon.
        The beta selection must be just around the corner, this just showed up as a platform icon within the last couple of days (wasn't there a few days back at least):

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
          The beta selection must be just around the corner, this just showed up as a platform icon within the last couple of days (wasn't there a few days back at least):
          http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/pu...form_linux.png
          Since a lot of Linux users are new to dealing with Valve... Let me explain that there is "soon" which means weeks and then there is Valve's "soon" which means years.

"just around the corner" could still mean months of waiting. That's just Valve's style. Valve got everybody all riled up for Portal 2 many months before they even released the game, and many gamers were "absolutely sure" the game was going to come out "next week".. Why else would Valve intentionally get people all riled up and excited for the release of Portal 2, only to have weeks and weeks and weeks go by without putting out a game.

I think Michael (from Phoronix) mentioned that the beta would start during Octoberfest.. Like most gamers often do, seriously underestimating what Valve defines as "soon".

Honestly, I don't personally expect to get beta access to Valve's Linux client until Christmas, and that's being optimistic. Maybe some lucky people that didn't go to UDS are going to get access next month because Valve does some cherry picking from the survey results... But that's a big maybe..

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
            Since a lot of Linux users are new to dealing with Valve... Let me explain that there is "soon" which means weeks and then there is Valve's "soon" which means years.

"just around the corner" could still mean months of waiting. That's just Valve's style. Valve got everybody all riled up for Portal 2 many months before they even released the game, and many gamers were "absolutely sure" the game was going to come out "next week".. Why else would Valve intentionally get people all riled up and excited for the release of Portal 2, only to have weeks and weeks and weeks go by without putting out a game.

I think Michael (from Phoronix) mentioned that the beta would start during Octoberfest.. Like most gamers often do, seriously underestimating what Valve defines as "soon".

Honestly, I don't personally expect to get beta access to Valve's Linux client until Christmas, and that's being optimistic. Maybe some lucky people that didn't go to UDS are going to get access next month because Valve does some cherry picking from the survey results... But that's a big maybe..
            You're right in posting this, and it's good to drum that into everyone's head so people don't get let down if the announcement doesn't happen soon (or they don't get chosen for the limited beta). Having said that, I'm still optimistic they'll be e-mailing the first 1000 people for the limited invite-only beta within a week or two based on this other comment by a valve employee on 2nd Nov:
            Originally posted by Frank
            You will be getting an email indicating acceptance into the limited beta and instructions on getting started.
            We are currently in the process of choosing the participants. Stay tuned and thanks for your patience.
            Of course, with Valve time I could be completely wrong... and I do agree that the public release of the client probably won't be until next year sometime... though I hope valve can surprise me

Comment

Working...
            X