id Software Has No Plans For Doom 3 BFG On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
    BFG is not just a mod, with improved graphics?
    It doesn't look like a big, screaming improvement in the graphics department to me, but I'm assuming the extra levels are supposed to make up for that.

Comment

Come on people, this is actually pretty ideal. I have always had a strong belief that the best way to make a game multiplatform is not merely having porters bring it to a limited range of target platforms, but to have the code out for it so that support can be offered to any platform that want's it. Just think about what would have happened even so more modern mainstream titles had their source code released so soon after release. Thank what would have happened if Rage had it's source code out now instead of some time down the line. I can not see how one can really complain about how this particular launch is being handled - I am not even sure if RMS would.

I do share some of the concern over id's future though, as they do seem to be flailing about without a real sense of direction and are seeming being mismanaged. Even if we no longer get a port on launch day (at least at the moment) they are still the single most supportive developer of free software games and engines, and there loss would still have repercussions to anyone interested in free gaming and free software in general.

This is actually good news - do not get too hung up over it.
      Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 21 October 2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        In case some one want to see the visual difference between doom 3 and BFG edition:
        http://www.eurogamer.dk/videos/doom-...dition-video-2
        Hopefully they're not charging any more than $5 for an upgrade.

Comment

Doom 3 BFG == Shitty console port

Doom 3 BFG:
          -worse tekstures (really!)
          -less graphics options
          -no flashlight cast shadows
          -prerenderer cutscenes(?)

Comment

There are already developers on twitter talking about the Linux port for it, it will happen from the community

Liam of www.gamingonlinux.com the real linux gaming website

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
              BFG is not just a mod, with improved graphics?
              If you need better graphics, there are free community mods

Comment

not interested...

I bought rage to "support" iD especially since initially there was a good indication that they would port to linux and concidering their history i was a case of buy now, put $ in their pocket and then replay on nix...

after the stunt they pulled, a stunt from a long supporter of linux I have resorted to the noProofNoExist mentality HENCE my stance with valve/Steam for linux (which still isn't here).

Same reason I havn't backed any kickstart (I am glad I didn't in light of one deciding to close up and take the $)

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                  There are already developers on twitter talking about the Linux port for it, it will happen from the community

Liam of www.gamingonlinux.com the real linux gaming website
                  So why don't you have an article up about it yet?

Comment

@Naib

With nvidia it is no problem to Rage play on linux, what card do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                      Same reason I havn't backed any kickstart (I am glad I didn't in light of one deciding to close up and take the $)
                      Which project? If this is the Manse Macabre one then I wouldn't call it "closing up and taking the $". The project creator actually promised to refund people's pledges out of his own pocket if they so wished.

(IMHO I wouldn't be surprised if some projects don't end up making it as some have existed where the dev team doesn't seem to have any real world experience in creating and releasing games, but I don't think this project should be put down as one. Regardless, people should just be careful and do their research before they back a project.)

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson
                      Come on people, this is actually pretty ideal. I have always had a strong belief that the best way to make a game multiplatform is not merely having porters bring it to a limited range of target platforms, but to have the code out for it so that support can be offered to any platform that want's it.
                      Precisely... it's pretty ideal that the source is being released under GPL pretty much immediately.

Comment

Working...
                      X