Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    I can: Prey, Quake 4. ET: QW, Brink.

And for the record, I do actually like Doom 3. A lot. And we are not alone.
    Of the four titles you listed, two are (partly) id titles, which only proves me right.
    I didn't say no one liked Doom3 (hell, many people liked Sims), just that it was the first title from id that didn't wow! and the first engine from id no one drooled over.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
      Ehhm, there is no point in arguing why Doom 3 wasn't popular, since it WAS popular. The game sold over 3.5 Million copies, the most of any id game up to that point.
      Exactly.

I'm astounded at the amount of total ignorance displayed on this thread regarding id Software. Some of you kiddies would do well to do a little research before opening your fat mouths and making total asses out of yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        I didn't say no one liked Doom3 (hell, many people liked Sims), just that it was the first title from id that didn't wow! and the first engine from id no one drooled over.
        What do you mean?

EVERYBODY drooled over it. It broke all sorts of new grounds, even if it had some downsides.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          What do you mean?

EVERYBODY drooled over it. It broke all sorts of new grounds, even if it had some downsides.
          Every tech site, maybe. Few of my friends could bear till the end, most (including myself) gave up before reaching hell. And I know of exactly zero LAN parties where this title was played. Besides the lighting model, I can't remember anything groundbreaking about the title.
          If so many people drooled over Doom3, Doom3:RoE would have sold about the same. It didn't. I'm guessing it tanked rather hard because its sales figures are not easy to find; Wikipedia just mentions that it was "not as well received as Doom 3". I know it sold, but it sold solely on the popularity of its predecessors and hyped up reviews. I'm sure of the 3.5 million copies sold, at least 1 million gamers enjoyed their game. But it was still not up to par.

Comment

Besides the lighting model, I can't remember anything groundbreaking about the title.
            The engine defined a completely new generation of video game graphics. It was one of the most anticipated and hyped game releases of it's time. I don't know how old you were, or what you remember, but I have a stack of game magazines from 2003 that say that you are flat out wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxRocks View Post
              ID games were great when they were young, but lately, they have been.... well, quite lacking - Rage anyone?
              Did you actually play Rage?

I've played every id Software game since Wolf 3D, and I can tell you right now, Rage delivered. It was id's best reviewed game since Doom I for the most part. Visually, no game compared to it. The biggest problem today's cynical gamers have is, they misunderstand what an id game is. It's an excuse to shoot things. Every id game is, and has been an excuse to shoot things.

Comment

Every tech site, maybe. Few of my friends could bear till the end, most (including myself) gave up before reaching hell.
                Some people did not enjoy the gameplay, but everybody drooled over the engine. The most common criticism of Doom3 is that it was a tech demo -- impressive engine, but poor gameplay.

For my part, I loved the game. I was expecting an id shooter, I got an id shooter, with monster closets and all that. The atmosphere was incredible.

Comment

Well without a mod Doom 3 was completely too dark, you had to switch all the time from weapon to flashlight. Behind every door is usally a monster that jumps at you so thats annoying. ducttape mod fixed that for 2 weapons commonly used, there are other mods with a similar effect. I don't think that anyone really liked the permanent switch.

When you compare it to Quake 4 you will notice that Doom 3 did not have a selection for 16:9/16:10 resolutions, you had to use commandline options to activate those. Also Quake 4 was not so dark, i think it was a much better game for the same engine.

For console gamers the game was modified to be really easy, never saw a game with so much ammo in there as in the bfg edition. When you look at Rage, which was optimizied for consoles as well, then you saw definitely that Rage had too few points where you could find ammo. You had to collect things and then buy it. Also there have been too few autosavepoints - console users could not press f5 to save. A game with lots of ammo is just more fun - for Rage on higher difficulties you had to play BashTV to get lots of money for a while to buy enough ammo for the amount of enemies. Rage is really no bad game, but more ammo would not hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    Some people did not enjoy the gameplay, but everybody drooled over the engine.
                    Then why wasn't it licensed like the engines before it? It was so drooled over that everybody went Source/UT3.
                    Anyway, whether Doom3 was the first flop form id (which I think it was) or not, the difference is purely academic. The sad thing is today, when you say id, you say tech demo.
                    Back in Wolfenstein or Doom days, there was practically no hype around a game's launch. But if a game was brilliant, you'd hear about it from your friends. Today, it's just hit and run: pay for press coverage before launch, try to sell as many copies before people realize what's what (hence why crackable DRM makes sense for publishers) and then get away with as few fixes as possible. It's just sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Well without a mod Doom 3 was completely too dark, you had to switch all the time from weapon to flashlight. Behind every door is usally a monster that jumps at you so thats annoying. ducttape mod fixed that for 2 weapons commonly used, there are other mods with a similar effect. I don't think that anyone really liked the permanent switch.
                      I did, actually.

Comment

Working...
                      X