No announcement yet.

Valve's Steam Linux Beta Begins Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running games on Ubuntu under Compiz is about the easiest way to drag your framerate down 10% or more. KDE simply mops the floor with Compiz/Unity.
    You can still use the gnome classic session for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by legluondunet View Post
      You can still use the gnome classic session for gaming.
      When you install gnome-session-fallback you get 2 classic sessions.
      * GNOME Classic
      * GNOME Classic (No Effects)

The first uses Compiz (and is currently broken in Ubuntu 12.10), and the latter uses Metacity as window manager.

Comment

I am a KDE user but I wouldn't say KDE mops the floor with Unity/Compiz. Switched off desktop effects and a lightweight DE/WM would be even better I guess.
        Heh. Maybe I should try running something from twm.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          When you install gnome-session-fallback you get 2 classic sessions.
          * GNOME Classic
          * GNOME Classic (No Effects)

The first uses Compiz (and is currently broken in Ubuntu 12.10), and the latter uses Metacity as window manager.
          I think Gnome shell and gnome classic should be broken to force users to tests unity. Anyway, sometimes I launch games on GNOME Classic (No Effects) to obtain maximum framerate with games that need a lot of ressource.

Comment

Great thing with KDE though, when I want to disable effects for a game (not very often but sometimes I do, depending on the game. some just dont like compositing) I just press Shift-Alt-F12.

Ta-da. It's an inbuilt shortcut in KDE to suspend effects and when I'm done I just press it again to reactivate compositing. Works great and makes my life easier. Unfortunately you can't suspend compositing in Unity because Unity itself is basically a Compiz plugin. So.. you'd suspend the whole desktop .

But if you can play the game fullscreen and have Compiz undirect fullscreen windows you should be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
              Pratically no publivher would allow the removal of the DRM, though solutions might be made for active titles.
              SKiDROW will save the day

Comment

...and yet, somehow related (it's a Steam-only game) some more interesting news...

CoD Black Ops for MAC:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/759...-mac-this-week

....i wonder how far we are to get Call of Duty Franchise running natively on Linux ?!?

Like it or not , Call of Duty franchise is the biggest franchise EVER.

If it arrives on Linux , a lot of attention will be put from gamers on Linux !
                ....and a lot more people will be/start_to_be concerned with Linux/Steam/Activision/CoD like M$ and EA/DICE

-------------------------------------------------

EA's ORIGIN : Powered by Bullshit

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  ....i wonder how far we are to get Call of Duty Franchise running natively on Linux ?!?
                  The Mac port was done by Aspyr, a third party company who pays studios to be able to make mac ports, basically Loki. So, until we get another Loki who can manage to be as successful as Aspyr, I'ma go with around never.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                    Pratically no publivher would allow the removal of the DRM, though solutions might be made for active titles.
                    Humble Indie Bundle?
                    Desura?

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                      Great thing with KDE though, when I want to disable effects for a game (not very often but sometimes I do, depending on the game. some just dont like compositing) I just press Shift-Alt-F12.

Ta-da. It's an inbuilt shortcut in KDE to suspend effects and when I'm done I just press it again to reactivate compositing. Works great and makes my life easier. Unfortunately you can't suspend compositing in Unity because Unity itself is basically a Compiz plugin. So.. you'd suspend the whole desktop .

But if you can play the game fullscreen and have Compiz undirect fullscreen windows you should be okay.
                      I think Unity need a feature to disable himself before starting a 3D game, like the one you describe for KDE. When I launch Skyrim or AION on unity, it's unplayable: too low framerate. I need to open a metacity session to play this games at full speed. How Valve will manage this problem? i hope they will work with canonical on a solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X