No announcement yet.

0 A.D. Alpha 11 "Kronos" Begins Doing GLSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mark45: I don't see any argument in your post. What now?

The game looks beautiful even without using the shaders you are missing. Could you point out, why the game doesn't look good, because it doesn't use the <insert> shader?

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
      mark45: I don't see any argument in your post. What now?

The game looks beautiful even without using the shaders you are missing. Could you point out, why the game doesn't look good, because it doesn't use the <insert> shader?
      What, you're also offended by the fact that someone points out it doesn't support shaders? What now?
      Could you point out, why the game looks good because it uses <insert> no shader?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        What, you're also offended by the fact that someone points out it doesn't support shaders? What now?
        Could you point out, why the game looks good because it uses <insert> no shader?
        Before GLSL, there was another shading language type in OpenGL... ARB Shading Language. Just because the game didn't support GLSL until now, doesn't mean that they weren't using any shaders at all.

Comment

People in Nazi germany also lived well but it doesn't mean they were doing right, half-truths are the best friends of the demagogs.
          You still pretend you don't get it? Or will you throw again a few silly pictures in and call names? If you're so sensible to a simple
          fact that it's a shame not using shaders in 3D games you shouldn't argue, because it's your problem.
          I'm actually kind of shocked at your choice of metaphor here. Not offended, just shocked.

Comment

Still waiting for real arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
              Still waiting for real arguments.
              Me too.

10 chars

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                I'm actually kind of shocked at your choice of metaphor here. Not offended, just shocked.
                You get easily shocked, like a little girl, mind some chilling stuff for you?, how about barbie.
                Last edited by mark45; 10 September 2012, 01:07 AM.

Comment

As a developer of 0 A.D. I can clarify the situation.

The article is actually inaccurate. GLSL support was added in a a previous release. What came in this release were more advanced GLSL shaders, GLSL mode is still considered experimental and must be enabled using the config file.

By default ARB shaders are used for compatibility reasons. There is work in progress to port the new GLSL shaders to ARB, this may be done in time for the next alpha. I believe that all of the current GLSL shaders will be able to be ported fully.

There is also a fixed render pipeline for even more compatibility. This can be enabled using a config option or will be automatically enabled if certain drivers are detected. This may not be maintained indefinitely, since the hardware which requires it is quite old and it makes the graphics architecture more awkward (which has caused some bugs).

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                    Look at this screenshot:

I think this looks all right. And it's from last year, before GLSL was added. The water is probably being done with ARB shaders instead.

You're being every bit as silly as this guy. The sooner people stop insisting on buzzword compliance, the happier we'll all be.

NOTE: I'm not dismissing the usefulness of GLSL, but if you don't need it, you don't need it.
                    Well the contention of some people would be that there is no such thing as an engine that doesn't need shader support, just like there is no such thing as a TV that doesn't need color support.

Comment

Working...
                    X