Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GPL-Licensed Half-Life Engine Is Still Going

Phoronix: The GPL-Licensed Half-Life Engine Is Still Going

Continuing to advance as an open-source project is a game engine that's written from scratch with an aim of being compatible with the original Half-Life "Gold Source" engine. This GPL-licensed engine is already working with many original Valve games and mods...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I'm most looking forward to is the ability to play multiplayer (LAN) games with machines that are running the original Half-life.

This is still the best multiplayer FPS game to play with friends.

Comment

MOARE!!!!

It's great to see open source game engines coming to linux, but I really want to see awesome things being done with them. Where is the Linux version of BF3 and crisis? I need a user for my crossfire 5770s other than luxrender GPU acceleration.

Comment

Start porting engine. Yesterday (29 hours ago)

PS September 14, 8:47 (New Mexico time)

Comment

Does anybody know if there are reasons for Valve not to release the GoldSrc engine?
          Besides that they simple don't want to, ofc.
          3rd party stuff, etc...?

Comment

There is something I don't understand:
            If the project says it's written from scratch, what does this
            1 /*** 1 /***
            2 * 2 *
            3 * Copyright (c) 1996-2002, Valve LLC. All rights reserved. 3 * Copyright (c) 1996-2002, Valve LLC. All rights reserved.
            4 * 4 *
            5 * This product contains software technology licensed from Id 5 * This product contains software technology licensed from Id
            6 * Software, Inc. ("Id Technology"). Id Technology (c) 1996 Id Software, Inc. 6 * Software, Inc. ("Id Technology"). Id Technology (c) 1996 Id Software, Inc.
            7 * All Rights Reserved. 7 * All Rights Reserved.
            8 * 8 *
            9 * Use, distribution, and modification of this source code and/or resulting 9 * Use, distribution, and modification of this source code and/or resulting
            10 * object code is restricted to non-commercial enhancements to products from 10 * object code is restricted to non-commercial enhancements to products from
            11 * Valve LLC. All other use, distribution, or modification is prohibited 11 * Valve LLC. All other use, distribution, or modification is prohibited
            12 * without written permission from Valve LLC. 12 * without written permission from Valve LLC.
            13 * 13 *
            14 ****/
            means?
            It's right inside the source code from the link in the previous post.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, I think it's only in the net_api. Did Valve release that?
            Last edited by mrugiero; 07 September 2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

entropy
              Does anybody know if there are reasons for Valve not to release the GoldSrc engine?
              Besides that they simple don't want to, ofc.
              3rd party stuff, etc...?
              The goldsrc engine is derived from the first Quake engine and some feature picked from Quake 2 if I recall well. There may be some other third party (the sound system maybe), but nothing that is still relevent today.

I do think that the GoldSrc source code can still be found online, as it was included in the Source engine source leak. It may not be used as a basis for this engine, but for understanding that could quite be usefull.

Comment

Originally posted by werfu View Post
                The goldsrc engine is derived from the first Quake engine and some feature picked from Quake 2 if I recall well. There may be some other third party (the sound system maybe), but nothing that is still relevent today.

I do think that the GoldSrc source code can still be found online, as it was included in the Source engine source leak. It may not be used as a basis for this engine, but for understanding that could quite be usefull.
                Yeah, but reading it might be considered reverse engineering, and not cleanroom. That means, if you read it and then code, you might be issued.

Comment

Working...
                X