Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Full Linux Push Talked About For February

Phoronix: Valve's Full Linux Push Talked About For February

Valve is expected to have the initial Steam Linux client available in the near future along with the Left 4 Dead 2 game in some form of beta, but a full-blown Linux push by Valve Software might not happen until around February...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Despite their blog posts claiming that they're having amazing success with stock Ubuntu, it's just a fact that many, many people are struggling with it. Since the performance and tearing fixes are scheduled to land in 12.04.2 on January 31, maybe they'd prefer to wait for that to be pushed out before releasing and avoiding any potential slew of negative publicity.

Comment

Hey, since you constantly mention your Twitter account...could you also start to use an identi.ca account? I like to think that identi.ca fit's more to a linux/open-source news site...just saying/asking.

Comment

I wonder who we beg to be considered for the beta...

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Despite their blog posts claiming that they're having amazing success with stock Ubuntu, it's just a fact that many, many people are struggling with it. Since the performance and tearing fixes are scheduled to land in 12.04.2 on January 31, maybe they'd prefer to wait for that to be pushed out before releasing and avoiding any potential slew of negative publicity.
          The Unity 5.16 update will land soon. Ubuntu 12.04.2 is scheduled for January 31, but that doesn't mean the update is behing held back until then.

Also if you're a normal user, chances are you are switching to Ubuntu 12.10 soon anyway which has all these fixes and a lot more included.

Comment

Originally posted by Compholio View Post
            I wonder who we beg to be considered for the beta...
            Someone asked exactly that on their Linux blog.

Other than that, I think Valve will go for a public beta soon.
            If not already right from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              The Unity 5.16 update will land soon. Ubuntu 12.04.2 is scheduled for January 31, but that doesn't mean the update is behing held back until then.

Also if you're a normal user, chances are you are switching to Ubuntu 12.10 soon anyway which has all these fixes and a lot more included.
              I thought Unity 5.16 was pinned to 12.04.2? Have they indicated when it will come out, or at least pushed to -proposed? I'm eager to try it myself.

Comment

Linux users are patient. I hope this is for quality control and numerous games on launch. If they just pop out with L4D2 it will be laughable and their effort severely over-hyped. However given their efforts to work with Intel for their drivers I can look at it optimistically.

Comment

With the large amount of stuff that needs to be tested, 6+ months beta sounds like a minimum. It's fairly obvious really.

Comment

Indeed it makes sense.

We are still seeing the Intel devs fix things for L4D2 in git, so probably they are going to wait a while for bugfix releases from the major GPU vendors to be ready and released, otherwise they'll launch and a lot of users will just find out that they have buggy graphics drivers and be unable to play.
                    Last edited by [Knuckles]; 01 September 2012, 11:50 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                    X