No announcement yet.

LGP Begins Pushing Their Outdated Crap In Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, someone else actually did some journalism and answered one of my questions:

Update: It seems LGP is also planning to publish Sacred Gold on Desura.
    ubuntuvibes.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ubuntuvibes.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

He was right when he was harsh about the server outage (no redundancy, no proper admin, failing backups, everything on a single server...), but this is hitting them for adding an additional channel.

Not fair Michael.

Comment

I still don't understand why anyone seriously cares what the title is or maybe some terminology used in phoronix articles. What are you here for? Polite prudish grammatically correct breaking news stories that strictly focus on open source software? Or, are you here just to get some info on what's going on in the linux (and other open source OSes) world? Michael tends to get all the important info out there and whatever info he doesn't supply, its either boring, unobtainable, or you can look it up yourself if you're that interested.

Seriously half the people on these forums are like 70 year old nuns - they get offended over nothing, treat their opinions like they're the most important, and complain when they hear about something that doesn't follow their philosophy exactly. Get over yourself - not everything revolves around you.

Comment

Originally posted by colo View Post
          What a terrible excuse for an "article", even by this site's already terribly low standards. You should feel ashamed for that headline.
          +1

stop your pitiful vendetta with LGP Michael, no idea what they did to you but your once 1 month attack on them gets old and pathetic

Comment

hmm

Watch your tone Michael, this type of headline is just disgusting from a professional POV!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I still don't understand why anyone seriously cares what the title is or maybe some terminology used in phoronix articles. What are you here for? Polite prudish grammatically correct breaking news stories that strictly focus on open source software? Or, are you here just to get some info on what's going on in the linux (and other open source OSes) world? Michael tends to get all the important info out there and whatever info he doesn't supply, its either boring, unobtainable, or you can look it up yourself if you're that interested.

Seriously half the people on these forums are like 70 year old nuns - they get offended over nothing, treat their opinions like they're the most important, and complain when they hear about something that doesn't follow their philosophy exactly. Get over yourself - not everything revolves around you.
              Yes, but there is a difference between being prudish and pointing out a bully. In this instance, that is Larabel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                Yes, but there is a difference between being prudish and pointing out a bully. In this instance, that is Larabel.
                The title is a bit unnecessary and obviously biased, which is not good for news, but it isn't bad to the point that it deserves more attention than the news itself. On the other hand, if he were praising LGP as if it were his child, people would accuse him of being paid by them. There is no pleasing the people who whine about articles on these forums.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                  That may be so, but they are trying to their best of abilities. And should deserve credit for that.

There was absolutely no need to be so harsh about LGP, even with the big server outage of last year. They did not deserve that.
                  Actually the first thing that came to my mind was...

AWESOME!! Outdated crap games for my outdated crap hardware!!!

Honestly, I loved playing the mind rover demo, it's actually a really cool game.
                  I have thought about buying it several times but when I finally got a job after college and had
                  money, LGP had already started bundling DRM with their games.... And of course, I don't want
                  to support the use of DRM, so I just looked the other way and played other games.

I'll probably buy, at the very least, Mind Rover. If / when it comes to the Software Center and DRM-free. I've found that apps I purchase in the Software Center is very easy to run on my Debian laptop.

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
                  I've long since given up on phoronix as a "news" site, but I've thought of it as a pretty decent blog, the only one I follow in fact, but with a article title like that I think I'm finally ready to give up on phoronix altogether.

A pity, really, it did have potential...
                  Why? Does the truth hurt so much that people just don't want to face it? The games are old crap, just like my laptop is old crap.. Not to mention that LGP has made a lot of mistakes in the past *cough* *DRM* *cough*... Hopefully when the games hit the Software Center, they will be DRM-free.

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  in 2013 they will be releasing the hugely popular hit prince of persia
                  I lol'd but then thought about how much I could brag my 6 year old PC can play the latest released games... And I can say it with a straight face and without feeling guilty too!

There are thankfully plenty of Linux gamers who refuse to buy from the Ubuntu Software Centre as they do not want to support distro lock-in, and of course there are those of use who use other distros.
                  I don't know what you're referring to when you say distro lock in.. All the apps I purchased on the Ubuntu Software Center work just fine in Debian when I copied them over. They're just binary packages and they're shipped with libraries just as any other linux game release is... So where's the distro lock-in?

For YEARS all I've heard is people talk about LGP and their "DRM crap".. That's pretty much how most linux gamers view LGP products these days, so I don't think the title is as "bullying" as you suggest it is. It seems pretty accurate to me..

How is LGP's DRM ridden games from so many years ago, not crap? Tell me that and maybe I'd understand you a bit better.. For the most part, if LGP doesn't strip their DRM out of their games, I'll continue to refer to it as crap myself (along with most linux gamers) and just buy other games...

If they do strip the DRM out of their games and put it on Ubuntu Software Center or Desura, I'd definitely buy Mind Rover...

Comment

Well i do post this link now and then but if you want generic (as in not biased to one distro) linux gaming news visit us at:

Comment

So does this mean that now they will be releasing games on the USC that their authentication server thing is dead? It would be crap if you purchased Sacred or say X2/X3 and then had to go authenticate on their server in order for the game to work.
                      Also its been a while since i visitied LGP or their store Tuxgames but the price on the Software Center is way cheaper than what they normally sell it for, so thats a plus i recall it was going for full price (50 dollars) even though its an old old game.

Comment

Working...
                      X