Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    =)

I don't want Ubuntu coders there that's for sure. Linux FWA(Fhack Windows & Apple)!

If there isn't and package manager tie-ins. Your God blessed Gentoo(A very fast penguin indeed) box will run it with some effort.

If Ubuntu does get package manager dependencies Valve would be as good as dead to Linux.
    Well the optimal would be for them to write a packagekit backend that they're plugging into if they're going to provide updates and such that way, and then that works cross-distro for free after the initial writing. It seems like even Slackware is supported by Packagekit via slapt. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/004150.html .

Comment

Originally posted by LostinSpacetime View Post
      It is indeed an exiting time and a big opportunity for Ubuntu and Linux. However, the performance regressions in 11.10 -> 12.04 -> 12.10 are disastrous as described in this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/964788. There are many similar bugs affecting users mostly with nVidia hardware (https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/1042167, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/988079, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1005074, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/987304, ..) which is ironical since gaming is the main reason to choose nVidia. I imagine most people will just try one of the new, more demanding games and experiencing bad performance will be thinking it's the game's fault or linux's, while without compiz/unity everything would work just fine.
      As I've said times and times again on the forums, these performance issues are being sorted. Ubuntu 12.04 will soon get Unity 5.16 which fixes huge performance issues with the Unity plugin and will improve quite a bit. However, Compiz also has huge performance problems which are not going to get resolved with an Ubuntu 12.04 update. Few days ago, the first important update for Ubuntu 12.10 (development) has been pushed, based on Compiz 0.9.8 lp3319 and fixes major performance issues within Compiz. Compiz 0.9.8.0 is coming very soon including improved performance with Sync to Vblank enabled (which is the default anyway), and Compiz 0.9.8.2 with further performance improvements is already in development. The final release of Ubuntu 12.10 will probably have 99% of all performance issues experienced with Compiz & Unity sorted out once and for all. But with the forthcoming Unity 5.16 update for Ubuntu 12.04, many people will be just fine running that already.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        As I've said times and times again on the forums, these performance issues are being sorted. Ubuntu 12.04 will soon get Unity 5.16 which fixes huge performance issues with the Unity plugin and will improve quite a bit. However, Compiz also has huge performance problems which are not going to get resolved with an Ubuntu 12.04 update. Few days ago, the first important update for Ubuntu 12.10 (development) has been pushed, based on Compiz 0.9.8 lp3319 and fixes major performance issues within Compiz. Compiz 0.9.8.0 is coming very soon including improved performance with Sync to Vblank enabled (which is the default anyway), and Compiz 0.9.8.2 with further performance improvements is already in development. The final release of Ubuntu 12.10 will probably have 99% of all performance issues experienced with Compiz & Unity sorted out once and for all. But with the forthcoming Unity 5.16 update for Ubuntu 12.04, many people will be just fine running that already.
        I believe the Unity 5.16 update is scheduled for January 31 with 12.04.2?

It may be better to upgrade to 12.10. Unless 5.16 hits precise-proposed.

Comment

Originally posted by Compholio View Post
          If they tie Steam into the package manager so that updates to Steam games show up in the system updater then that would make me very happy
          Personally I would hate this. I like keeping my games and proprietary software separate from my system packages, and I personally favour how Desura handles this. As others have also noted, it would increase the support burden and potentially lock the software into certain distros rather than allowing it to be truly cross-distro. So I personally hope that they do not do this.

Comment

Originally posted by LostinSpacetime View Post
            However, the performance regressions in 11.10 -> 12.04 -> 12.10 are disastrous as described in this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/964788. There are many similar bugs affecting users mostly with nVidia hardware.
            My AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4770 works quite well between "[fglrx] ASIC hang happened" incidents.

Comment

Originally posted by disgrace View Post
              Ubuntu is full retards. I hope steam will run on my god blessed Gentoo distribution.
              If you are talking about the developers of ubuntu, I can see them easily breaking their OS to add some under developed, highly unstable feature that breaks everything without testing it on a large variety of systems, true. But the users though, just want something that is easy to install and learn, and works. Many computer users don't want to know the inside and out of their computer because simply enough, it is just a tool. Just like how people don't know exactly how their car works, they just drive it. They don't build the engine, or even fix it half the time. They pay someone else to do that stuff for them so they can focus on the rest of their lives like, taking care of their kids, jobs and such. Not everyone has plenty of free time to learn how to compile a kernel while their computer is down for a week (re)compiling their system. Some people just want to load up a usb stick with a distro, install it in 30 minutes and have a working desktop so they can then get to their damn email, edit some work documents and order some pizza online.

Comment

Originally posted by RabidWeezle View Post
                If you are talking about the developers of ubuntu, I can see them easily breaking their OS to add some under developed, highly unstable feature that breaks everything without testing it on a large variety of systems, true.
                i laughed.

Comment

Gabe Newell confirmed on GT.TV that Linux support is being developed mainly for Smart TVs. Canonical is one of very few Linux distributors that aims for Smart TVs (Gentoo does not). However Valve has no interest in tying in with Ubuntu Software Center because Valve wants Steam to be the main source for all kinds of media (see recent announcement). Gabe said that Valve wants Smart TV vendors to choose if they want to build their Smart TV platform on Windows or Linux (he didn't say Ubuntu). That means apart from being ?certified? to run on Ubuntu, no technical Ubuntu tie in should be present. If I have to guess I'd say that Steam will have to be installed in the users? home directory to allow Steam to update itself and all games without asking for admin rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Gabe Newell confirmed on GT.TV that Linux support is being developed mainly for Smart TVs.
                    Where those his exact words, "mainly"? Because if that is the case, that sounds a little disappointing actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                      Where those his exact words, "mainly"? Because if that is the case, that sounds a little disappointing actually.

No, those actually... weren't even like his words at all. I'm assuming he's talking about this interview.

Comment

Working...
                      X