No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 3 Now Sort Of Works On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay for proprietary software joining up with open source software to create proprietary open source software...?

I'm really surprised more Linux users who actually give a shit about freedom aren't outraged by Google and Flash teaming up to try to force browser users onto Chrome, but then again most everyone hates Flash already. This will just help seal the deal. Still, some additional anger deserves to be cast Google's direction because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      Yay for proprietary software joining up with open source software to create proprietary open source software...?

I'm really surprised more Linux users who actually give a shit about freedom aren't outraged by Google and Flash teaming up to try to force browser users onto Chrome, but then again most everyone hates Flash already. This will just help seal the deal. Still, some additional anger deserves to be cast Google's direction because of this.
      I am. Have been avoiding Chrome like the plague, now I'm boycotting it. I don't like this vendor locking us into a single browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
        I am. Have been avoiding Chrome like the plague, now I'm boycotting it. I don't like this vendor locking us into a single browser.
        What would be kind of funny is if the plan backfired and made lots of users demand to be able to use Gnash or other Flash alternatives and this pushed Adobe to want to make sure those alternatives were better to keep Flash alive, maybe even inch closer towards making it an open standard.

Something tells me that probably won't happen though.

Comment

Something must be missing from Stage3D on Linux. I tried

An army of undead Redcoats are out for blood and only one Patriot with a penchant for electricity stands between them and every American. Ben Franklin the founding father of kick-butt takes them on in this free FPS from the top-shots at Neo-Pangea!

But i do not see any enemies on Linux. They are there however on Win.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Plus, we have Unigine now.
            Call me when developers stop using the Unreal Engine and start using Unigine.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
              Aren't other browsers more than able to implement support for pepper plugins?

Comment

Originally posted by KameZero View Post
                Aren't other browsers more than able to implement support for pepper plugins?
                No clue. Are pepper plugins moving targets like with Firefox, or do they use actual "standards", even if it is a standard only currently for Chromium? If they are real actual open well-defined standards then I hope Firefox switches to that standard and away from the current lack thereof.

Comment

Mozilla's stance was that they have no reason to bother implementing Pepper when it's only used for Flash, even though they could.

I fully support them in that.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Mozilla's stance was that they have no reason to bother implementing Pepper when it's only used for Flash, even though they could.

I fully support them in that.
                    That was random, care to go into detail? Why would you support some software not having standards, which would mean freedom if done right, as well as mean moving free software a lot further along than it is? When you have giant solid stacks of software that are not modular/standardized, the entire stacks can sometimes die off when one part becomes obsolete. When you have modularization and standards, you can reuse different parts of the stack while replacing others. Having a unified browser plugin API would mean many many more plugins available for all browsers that implemented support for the standard. Additionally, Firefox constantly breaking plugins is a very bad thing that has been causing a particularly large amount of grief recently. The only reason I use Firefox is because of the plugins. Without them, the browser is absolutely horrible in regards to privacy concerns.

I've been wishing someone would fork Firefox and make Private Fox or something. You know, an actual libre open source software project which actually cares about morals such as preventing large corporations from spying on you instead of making money from it like Mozilla does.

P.S. Same goes for Google and Chrome. That's the reason there were such fearce browser wars. The fact they are open source just helped things along faster.
                    Last edited by Yfrwlf; 28 August 2012, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X