X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kwahoo
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    So yeah, I could try it in a VM that doesn't have net access. Except the VM's horrible 3d performance. And that they wouldn't allow that, because without net access they can't call home, among other things. But this is getting offtopic.
    Steam Offline Mode.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
    For the record though, valve previously gave portal away for free (and probably still do unless you've got an Intel graphics card), currently give Team Fortress 2 away for free, claim to be giving away DOTA2 for free, and, I suspect, will give L4D away for free for too (as its the linux lauch title, and not super new). When steam comes to linux (and the games get ported) theres almost no excuse for not trying them unless you really hate first person games (which dota2 isnt). They're all relativly modern, and 90%+ games.
    No excuse, but a good reason: Steam is malware. Defective by design.

So no matter if it's free or even if they pay me if it calls home, scans memory, or does many of its other questionable acts.

So yeah, I could try it in a VM that doesn't have net access. Except the VM's horrible 3d performance. And that they wouldn't allow that, because without net access they can't call home, among other things. But this is getting offtopic.

Leave a comment:

• kwahoo
    replied
    Their business model

Once the item store was introduced, revenues from item sales alone were four times larger than revenues from sales of TF2 itself, and after the free-to-play transition was finished, overall revenue was up 12 times higher than monthly TF2 sales were.
    http://gamasutra.com/view/news/16492...freetoplay.php

Leave a comment:

• ownagefool
    replied
    True, I measure by bang per buck, or ((playtime / $) * quality).

I've never played anything Valve, so I didn't know that was an episode for 19.99$. By how long they took to make it I just assumed it had to be a full-length one.
    Typically Valve games are cheaper, part of bundles and are frequently on sale. They also have some of the most well known, highest rated and most played games in the market. Course, they keep most of their profits and use the games to tie you into a steam account, but its difficult to complain about the games / prices themselves.

For the record though, valve previously gave portal away for free (and probably still do unless you've got an Intel graphics card), currently give Team Fortress 2 away for free, claim to be giving away DOTA2 for free, and, I suspect, will give L4D away for free for too (as its the linux lauch title, and not super new). When steam comes to linux (and the games get ported) theres almost no excuse for not trying them unless you really hate first person games (which dota2 isnt). They're all relativly modern, and 90%+ games.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by rustybroomhandle View Post
    Just an aside - don't measure the value of any game by the time it takes to complete it.
    True, I measure by bang per buck, or ((playtime / $) * quality).

I've never played anything Valve, so I didn't know that was an episode for 19.99$. By how long they took to make it I just assumed it had to be a full-length one.

Leave a comment:

• rustybroomhandle
    replied
    Average finish time less than 7h? For a full length game?

Dear god, Valve is worse than I thought.
    Just an aside - don't measure the value of any game by the time it takes to complete it.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Not necessarily, I'm sure they could figure out something to see what OS it's used on/bought for. Perhaps by checking how many downloads were done for a particular version of a game.
    That will only give you stats as to how many Linux users play the game, it says nothing about profitability.

Leave a comment:

• kwahoo
    replied
    No. It's only additional episode for HL2. I finished Half Life 2 ("full length game") after 15h, Episode 1 after 4h, and Episode 2 after 5h. BTW Valve dropped episodic model. Edit: So I have to wait for 2080 "full length" H-L3 instead for 2008 Episode 3
    Last edited by kwahoo; 20 August 2012, 07:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied

Dear god, Valve is worse than I thought.

Leave a comment:

• kwahoo
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Perhaps by checking how many downloads were done for a particular version of a game.
    Steam Big Brother knows used platform, played time, installed programs and much more...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X