No announcement yet.

How Valve Made L4D2 Faster On Linux Than Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a translation layer was the best decision...why ?

They are making a translation layer as universal as it can get for their engine....because it will be universal for their engine, it will make extremely simple and fast to convert other Source engine titles to LINUX.

This gives another benefit that is reduce the porting costs to very low levels....making it even easier to achieve profits from Linux ports....one aspect that was discussed here at Phoronix ad nausea.

No matter they are using a translation layer, they are achieving an impressive performance....and they said that they can squeeze easily 5 % more of speed from further optimization of that layer.

Even if this only at 1st glance applying to Source Engine, the teachings they got and the tools they learned to use to do it, might well apply to other engines like UE3 or others....this is where their assistance to other partners using other engines can be useful .
    Last edited by AJSB; 10 August 2012, 05:01 AM.

Comment

for me its ok to have translation layer. for now its only for SOURCE and its quite fast. so whats the problem?

Comment

A quick note, Mesa 9 with GL 3.1 is planned for release around September this year.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
          for me its ok to have translation layer. for now its only for SOURCE and its quite fast. so whats the problem?
          I also don't see a problem for now...except maybe with less powerful CPUs we might get a performance loss compared with Windows....dunno for sure till we get the beta...

However, they seemed to have tested in a relative wide number of computers and they seem confident, so, i guess we can be confident with their work.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            A quick note, Mesa 9 with GL 3.1 is planned for release around September this year.
            Well, that escalated quickly

Comment

Yikes, version number inflation from Chrome and FF reached Mesa.

On the other hand, props for actually having a longer term stable release strategy than the previous "you get one or two, if we bother".

Comment

Originally posted by JantarMantar View Post
                What's stopping Valve now to create a gaming console
                What didn't stop the Atari Jaguar and Amiga CD32? :-P

Comment

... or simply console gaming market shrinking?

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    No, it isn't. The PS3 does not use OpenGL in any useful capacity, and bringing Sony up as a "user of OpenGL or equivalent" makes no fucking sense. Microsoft is a "user of OpenGL or an equivalent" by that logic. Porting your applications to OpenGL doesn't help in the fucking slightest when it comes to porting to the PS3. Nintendo also absolutely does not even "kinda sorta" use OpenGL.
                    I've been trying to make the exact same point for years now. Consoles all use lower level API's because, especially in the case of the Wii/PS3, the OGL implementation is too slow to be useful.

Its generally accepted your graphical backend has to be re-written when porting to/from consoles, regardless of the renderer you use.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      What didn't stop the Atari Jaguar and Amiga CD32? :-P
                      I bought a Sega Saturn =) for $400 when it came out... played Virtua Fighter until my eyeballs bleed so... dunno,

Well I don't mind the layer as long as it's stable and fast. Hell as it matures even more it might become a sort of de facto translation tool.

Comment

Working...
                      X