Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here Is Valve's Source Engine Left 4 Dead 2 On Linux

Phoronix: Here Is Valve's Source Engine Left 4 Dead 2 On Linux

Valve's SIGGRAPH 2012 presentation last night -- about the Source Engine on Linux and their experiences with maximizing the OpenGL performance of their game engine on Linux -- was a success...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hear hear

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

That is from RAMMSTEIN's video "Amerika"...

...or maybe not but it sure looks from it
      Last edited by AJSB; 09 August 2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

What i want to know is when my Beta testing starts

I want to kill Zombies NOW !!!

Comment

Would be nice to hear a bit from the guy how contributed the photos on the forum. How was it? Can't wait.

Comment

Video! We want the video, not the slide presentations!

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              Video! We want the video, not the slide presentations!
              Yeah telling that presentation was a success is meaningless - allow us to be the judges by ourselves.

Comment

Live CD/DVD

I'd like to see live CDs or DVDs with the game loaded on it.
                It would make your PC feel like a gaming console but with a long bootup time.

Comment

Acording to Valve's Facebook page:

Just a quick note to let everyone know that a part of the Valve Linux team will be presenting at SIGGRAPH 2012; specifically the Birds of a Feather program.
                  Tonight (6 PM in the Gold Ballroom - Salon 3 of the JW Marriott Los Angeles at LA Live), Rich Geldreich will be talking about our experience in porting Left 4 Dead 2 to Ubuntu 12.04. The talk focuses on our optimization efforts and is mainly visual; including a short time demo video, Telemetry results, and other visual media. The team will be available for questions afterwards.
                  After SIGGRAPH, we'll post anything we have to share on the blog.

Comment

Originally posted by eric.frederich View Post
                    I'd like to see live CDs or DVDs with the game loaded on it.
                    It would make your PC feel like a gaming console but with a long bootup time.
                    Are you insane?

#1. Live CDs are slow as hell because they have to deal with the I/O rate of either the DVD drive or the USB port which since USB 3.0 isn't really mainstream you can't get away with that out.

#2. Unless it's a liveUSB it's read-only, which guess what? means no saves, no updates, no mods.

#3. why the hell do you want livecds for playing games? nobody likes the CD swapping game which is why no-cd patches exist and are proliferant, and if you're going to suggest VMing it... well guess what? you're basically asking for unacceptable loss of performance and hackiness that is just going to be to the detriment of your experience. Although it's a valid question of if VMing it would actually be faster than booting from LiveCD because the image is stored on your HDD and thus you don't have to deal with terrible I/O speeds.
                    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 09 August 2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X