Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    That's incorrect.
    Many top gamers use SSD because the faster loading times .
    Top gamers buy a lot of stuff that either does nothing or very little. Before you spend money on a big ssd that can fit your games you should max out your internal memory. An ssd makes your first load fast. Having everything in internal memory makes all the other loads faster. And you will load much more that 2 times.

Comment

• I'm listening to the keynote now and I've just took a quick look at the Linux bit and it's not that hard as the media put it, maybe it's acting up a bit but it looks like he's saying these with a bit of sadness in his voice or maybe a bit of knowledge that most of the guys interesting in the Linux stuff already know that iDs only Linux guy has left the company anyway so he's trying to use fewer words and not get in the BS area. He says 2 recent Linux games: QuakeLive is mentioned, which is 3 years old (!?) and what? ETQW in 5 years old, i would not call that recent by any means.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
        Top gamers buy a lot of stuff that either does nothing or very little. Before you spend money on a big ssd that can fit your games you should max out your internal memory. An ssd makes your first load fast. Having everything in internal memory makes all the other loads faster. And you will load much more that 2 times.
        True , personally, be it for games or not, i simply don't trust SSDs, very unreliable, very expensive, etc.

OTOH, many games are kinda of badly designed (or/and because are 32bit and simply devs don't care about workarounds for that limitation), even AAA, and simply don't try to load as much as possible to RAM as they could, so, in practice, usually having more RAM after a certain level is simply also a waste of money......also people like a game that loads real fast....if you try to load too much from HD, players start bitching because it takes too much time to start...hell, even reviewers start bitching...so, in the end it's a compromise as max that you can load to RAM because no one wants to take too much time....

Comment

• Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          No they aren't. The volume in sales of the cheap parts vastly swamps the income they make from the high-end parts.

The only reason they care about you at all is because you're an advertising sap. Company A puts out stupid $800 CPU/GPU. Dumbass gamers gobble it up because it's so fast. Gaming magazines publish articles about how amazing Company A's $800 CPU/GPU is. Average Joe goes to buy a new part, but doesn't want to pay $800 for one part, because that's fucking retarded. He looks at the sanely priced $100-$300 parts. He remembers all the hype about how fast Company A's $800 part is. He buys Company A's $200 part. He never bothers to check and find out that Company B's $200 part actually has better performance in that price range.
          Straw man, much? If a person building a custom machine decides he wants to future-proof his system with high-end parts, he chose that. What idiot just buys the thing with the biggest price tag? People who build computers in my experience know very well what each part does and where it falls in relation to similar gear.

I think you pulled your figures out of your ass.

Comment

So, it wasn't has he made a "special" favour to us , is it ? He simply treated us like all the others....now....name me ONE AAA Studio that made ports for Linux and Windows and gave source code to ONLY Windows....didn't happen also did it ?
            Yeah , this last affirmation sounds pretty harsh and extremely unfair but really....we weren't special for him...
            You do understand that my dream is that all the companies, be that nVidia, ATI, Intel, Epic, ID, EA threat Linux users just as they threat Windows users....
            If anything, I do *not* want to be special.

- Gilboa
            Last edited by gilboa; 07 August 2012, 05:59 AM.
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

• Originally posted by gilboa View Post
              You do understand that my dream is that all the companies, be that nVidia, ATI, Intel, Epic, ID, EA threat Linux users just as they threat Windows users....
              If anything, I do *not* want to be special.

- Gilboa
              Yes, i understand and i agree....i also don't want to be treated as special....however, the post about we have to bow our head to JC just because he gave the source code implied that he was treating us special or something like that and my point was that he didn't treat as special so we owe him nothing ....at least no more than Windows users/devs owe him .

Comment

Yes, i understand and i agree....i also don't want to be treated as special....however, the post about we have to bow our head to JC just because he gave the source code implied that he was treating us special or something like that and my point was that he didn't treat as special so we owe him nothing ....at least no more than Windows users/devs owe him .
                Well, maybe you can argue that the Linux community does not owe him anything.
                But the open source community does!

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  So get this. Why are we listening to this guy? They're redoing doom3 now and after that they will do doom4! Seriously this must be a joke but it's real! Why are we listening to a guy that heads a company that makes such awful decisions?? They're basically redoing the same game 5 times now!!! id software is doomed!
                  It's true that they really haven't tread into new waters recently (and by "recently" I mean the last decade lol). And Carmack's engine tech is interesting but I don't know that they really drive too many games that can appropriately show it off, so it has diminished relevance. So yeah... the guy earned a lot of respect from the initial Doom / Quake days and is still approachable so he maintains a bit of media attention, but otherwise is not really a big figure on the gaming scene IMO.

There aren't a lot of "faces" in the gaming industry, so it's easy to give him attention. But the stuff coming from id hasn't been lighting the world on fire. Frankly, it's barely mediocre when stacked against the competition.

Comment

• well i wonder if rage gets an update for occulus rift, the doom 3 bfg was optimized for stereo/vr support just like doom 4 and you will get the bfg edition together with the rift. jc really likes that it seems, much more interesting for him than linux he even wanted to create his one vr glasses before rift was here.

Defy reality with Meta Quest. Our VR headsets redefine digital gaming and entertainment. Learn more about Quest 2, our most advanced all-in-one VR system.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
                      I agree with you and I don't agree with wizard69 entirely, but I have a few points

Just wondering about [2]... isn't the amount of support cash they're getting mostly from enterprise and not actual users?

There is one thing I might agree with wizard69 about, and that is that Linux users might be too "cheap" to be willing to pay for actual software. Why buy software when you can probably find an opensource alternative that runs almost or just as well? For example, if someone made a commercial office suite for Linux, would you buy it? Or would you just stick to LibreOffice? When you want to do something on Linux, what do you check first? the package manager which offers programs for free? Or some commercial app store?

I feel this mentality is the same with Android users as well.. people aren't willing to pay when there are lots of easily found free alternatives that may or may not be as good. I find that on Windows, those free alternatives are usually less and/or not very easily found sometimes.

I could be wrong though, but this is just my observation. Also, I think this wouldn't be the case with games, because free games that are also good rarely exist :P especially opensource ones
                      I think there is truth in this. Unix end-users are too cheap to buy software, especially when theres a usable free alternative. Where I think there is some sort of fallacy is the opinion that Windows users are any different. The majority of end users I know will happily pirate, whilst some others are willing to pay for software that is better than the free versions, or does stuff they can't get for free.

You can't really make money selling browsers, utilities, or anything much more on the PC. You may be able to make some money selling software such as Office, Photoshops, and theres a lot of money business solutions, but I can't imagine the typical end user spends a lot on software and I'd imagine that market is typically shriking. Games are an exception though, and theres no reason to think they wouldn't be an exception on *nix.

Comment

Working...
                      X