id Software: Linux Hasn't Produced Positive Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Damn right. They have some additional software before, but even then their market share was very low. Conclusion is simple: its market share grew, because of games.
    definitely not

the gaming market is less than 0% of all desktop users, Windows included

Comment

• Originally posted by gilboa View Post
      You say tomato, I say tomahto.

AJSB,

Thus far, not many game development studio (make that one, ID) were willing to contribute AAA source code, just for the heck of it, to the community with near zero limitations.
      Keep this attitude (not only you, of-course) and I can assure you that the number will remain zero.

Repeat after me: Nobody (not even JC) owes us *anything*. Period, end of sentence, EOF, push, commit. *

Well yeah, indeed he gave us that and he doesn't owes us anything...but that doesn't mean that he market Linux games correctly , give them the correct support or that he isn't completely wrong with that affirmation "oh Linux was a waste of money" , does it ?.If he didn't made money with Linux it's he's own fault not ours.

Notice also that he didn't give us (as in:Linux community alone) the AAA source code....he gave it to EVERYBODY....including to Windows community.

So, it wasn't has he made a "special" favour to us , is it ? He simply treated us like all the others....now....name me ONE AAA Studio that made ports for Linux and Windows and gave source code to ONLY Windows....didn't happen also did it ?

AAA studios don't give source code in general but when they do they give to all platforms covered by that code, again, he didn't treat us as anything special....he gave to ALL....so, just like he doesn't owe us anything , quite honestly, he don't owe anything to him either.

Yeah , this last affirmation sounds pretty harsh and extremely unfair but really....we weren't special for him...
      Last edited by AJSB; 06 August 2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
        They haven't done anything yet. And lets see if it lasts for any length of time.

Don't get this in the wrong way but sure it seems that there are many here "hopping" that Valve fails....
        Last edited by AJSB; 06 August 2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
          definitely not

Less than ZERO % ?

Well, well, i knew that sooner or later someone would say something like that....

So,...what is game share in PC... -10% or -20% ?

Comment

• Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
            They haven't done anything yet. And lets see if it lasts for any length of time.
            Yes, they did. They are working on graphic drivers. Amazing, they don't have business on Linux (yet) but they improve it.
            At least if this not going to work & Valve drop Linux support ( I have hope that will never happen ), will leave Linux a little better ( at least in terms of graphic drivers, maybe more ).

Now We can only speculate. We have to wait, support & see.
            I will support Valve with my money, because I see that Valve can do a lot for Linux & it's community.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            definitely not

PC games ( only PC ) market was worth 18,6 billion $ in 2011 - so percents doesn't count, money counts.

Comment

PS. why the consoles are so popular?
              Of course that is because of Office 20xx or AutoCAD....Oh. wait...

Comment

• Originally posted by sgtGarcia View Post
                PC games ( only PC ) market was worth 18,6 billion $ in 2011 - so percents doesn't count, money counts.
                Percents count in the context of what I was responding to.

Comment

It means everything to Linux, because VALVe wants all of those 2500 games to be running on it. It's very realistic. Some games are already running on Linux, but are available for Windows or OS X only. Crisis, Wargame:EE. It's even possible Linux is preferred development platform for Windows games. Porting can be a wrong word in many cases, because it seems some important games are ported from Linux to Windows (but only released for the later, for now). Stop your stupid trolling about market share, because not so long ago OS X was irrelevant till it got games. Linux + games means Linux + highest market share.
                  An example, I recently play a MMO game called Phantasy Star Online 2 (currently available as Japanese release and international version come next year) from SEGA. The folders layout is very similar to Unix/Linux architectures meaning inhouse already use Linux.
                  I run a Character Creation from Phantasy Star Online 2 through Wine with some sound issue on Fedora 17. The game will be also available for Android meaning Linux version is already tested.

Comment

• Originally posted by AJSB View Post

Less than ZERO % ?

Well, well, i knew that sooner or later someone would say something like that....

So,...what is game share in PC... -10% or -20% ?
                    Yeah, and that small portion of gamers are the most lucrative to hardware makers. I just buy an i3 and run Intel graphics on a cheap motherboard with 8GB of RAM. A gamer will likely buy an i5 or i7 k series, a $150-300 motherboard, 16GB+ of RAM and a $300-600 graphics card.

Comment

• Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
                      Yeah, and that small portion of gamers are the most lucrative to hardware makers. I just buy an i3 and run Intel graphics on a cheap motherboard with 8GB of RAM. A gamer will likely buy an i5 or i7 k series, a $150-300 motherboard, 16GB+ of RAM and a $300-600 graphics card.
                      I don't think anyone notice that LESS than Zero is a NEGATIVE number and that meant that NO ONE plays games in a PC

Did you noticed the "-" next to the 10 and to the 20 in my post ?

But yeah, gamers spend a LOT of money in their rigs and if it wasn't gamers were using still Pentium I
                      Last edited by AJSB; 06 August 2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X