X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Actually, what would be really cool and even doable is to release it on Linux a week earlier than on Windows. That would be enough to warrant attention while not alienating everyone.
    +1 !!!

Same for CSGO or DOTA2 but i doubt that is doable for those taking in account that developmentis already too far advanced with betas and all...

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    They should release Half-Life 3 and make it Linux only. Let's see how that shifts things.
    Actually, what would be really cool and even doable is to release it on Linux a week earlier than on Windows. That would be enough to warrant attention while not alienating everyone.

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Unfortunately, no
    Hell, any way, pay a visit and vote

http://tek.sapo.pt/noticias/computad...7.html#swc_p=1

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Could you imagine the sheetstorm that would ensue?

The MS fanboys would be in raving hysterics.
    I can just imagine their total shock if i spam one of their sites here with a copy and past of the news about it

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by Scali View Post
    New games like HL2EP3 or such may have somewhat of an impact... but porting games like L4D2, P2, TF2, which have been on the market for years already, I don't think so. People who want to play those games already own then. In fact, I would say that most people who bought them no longer play these games. Only a die-hard group of fans still plays these old titles, while most gamers got bored with them and moved on to newer titles.

Aside from the problem that people already own these games, is the problem that people already own a copy of Windows. Why would they move to linux if they could just play the new titles on Windows as well?
    So no, I don't really see the huge impact. The existing linux market is less than 5% of all computers, and not every single one of them them would be interested in gaming on linux, I suppose. So that's not where any kind of significant impact is coming from. That would have to come from the ~90% of Windows users who need to be convinced to trade in Windows for linux.
    Actually from those your refer i don't have L4D2 or P2...only TF2....funny thing is that i was to buy L4D2 for Windows the begin of this year but something was holding me to do it....and then the bomb was dropped about a Linux client

I have P1 but never didn't get P2 but intended to do so....

I buy a lot of games not when they are launched but latter when price goes down

But yeah, i put those in the list more because they are AAA games....what im saying is that those games are AAA and still very solid and there are lot's of people not having them...as for the 5% market share , i'm not sure if that number is that correct...is based on what ? PC sells ? how about who buys a PC with Windows and them remove it and install Linux ? I bet that it was counted as a Windows PC....and who like me done a DIY PC with parts bought here and there , how that counts ?...but even so, still,. 5% of worldwide total of PC is a lot of dozens of millions of PCs...a very nice potential market.

As for new games , CS:GO, DOTA2 , HL3 and even an HL2EP3 ( i have all HL2 , BTW) are for sure AAA games and brand new, that is the real spearhead of Valve in the Linux field.

Hell i will buy almost all of those titles
    Last edited by AJSB; 03 August 2012, 05:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    They should release Half-Life 3 and make it Linux only. Let's see how that shifts things.
    There will be lots of noise, there will be hate (all the usual stuff) and then THEY.JUST.CANNOT.RESIST.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Could you imagine the sheetstorm that would ensue?

The MS fanboys would be in raving hysterics.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post
    I'd even go that far to claim that Valve is one of the very few big companies that also deliver AAA content besides AAA technology and an AAA budget.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    Do you understand Portuguese language ?!?
    Unfortunately, no
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    315 * 100 / 303 = 103.96%
    So if we take Windows OGL as the base (100%), then Linux OGL performance is 103.96%. That's 3.96% higher.
    With a 60FPS base, a 3.96% difference translates to:
    60 * 0.0396 = 2.37FPS
    You get 2.3-2.4 more FPS on Linux. It's elementary school math ^_^
    Yes, yes, but why you didn't count Direct3D vs. OpenGL result? There is 15% difference (for example ~50 vs. ~60 FPS).

Leave a comment:

• Scali
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    Hell, if Valve port DOTA2, CSGO, TF2, P2, HL3 and L4D2 to Linux that alone will have a HUGE impact and all them are in their respective categories AAA games.
    New games like HL2EP3 or such may have somewhat of an impact... but porting games like L4D2, P2, TF2, which have been on the market for years already, I don't think so. People who want to play those games already own then. In fact, I would say that most people who bought them no longer play these games. Only a die-hard group of fans still plays these old titles, while most gamers got bored with them and moved on to newer titles.

Aside from the problem that people already own these games, is the problem that people already own a copy of Windows. Why would they move to linux if they could just play the new titles on Windows as well?
    So no, I don't really see the huge impact. The existing linux market is less than 5% of all computers, and not every single one of them them would be interested in gaming on linux, I suppose. So that's not where any kind of significant impact is coming from. That would have to come from the ~90% of Windows users who need to be convinced to trade in Windows for linux.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X