Valve's L4D2 Is Faster On Linux Than Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fenixkane View Post
    The class action lawsuits thing is a response to a new law passed in the EU, namely that people should be able to sell used copies of digital goods. This is something Valve hasn't supported up till now and they wanted some protection against being forced into adding such a feature or needing to pull out of the EU entirely.
    The thing is, class action lawsuits are mainly a US thing. There are vaguely similar methods in the EU, but they are far from being exactly the same - for instance, if there is a class action lawsuit, you can't sue independently, you have to join the class. That's not the case in EU...

Comment

Originally posted by frostwarrior View Post
      Great link, thanks for sharing. That kind of stuff is why I still lurk around the Phoronix forum.

Comment

Is it faster on the Intel linux driver compared to windows? I don't care for blobs...
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
          That's pretty great. I'm assuming it's running the same gfx features as well.
          Until we know that for sure, no one can really make a comment on speed differences.

Comment

Yea, I'm somewhat confused here, too. They used an NVIDIA card for benchmarking, yet they collaborated with Intel when fixing performance issues?.. How does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Yea, I'm somewhat confused here, too. They used an NVIDIA card for benchmarking, yet they collaborated with Intel when fixing performance issues?.. How does that work?
              They also worked with NVidia and AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                They specced the computer as stupidly high end, as they obviously wanted to make sure their software was capable of getting the hundreds of FPS they're expecting. They wouldn't want to test with an Intel card, get 70 fps, assume its good, then realise they're actually CPU bottlenecked when both Nvidia and AMD can't get much over that figure either. What they did makes sense imo.

Comment

Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
                  With DirectX, everything is in one nice little package provided by Microsoft, but OpenGL only comes with a graphics library, and no input/sound/video libraries, which DirectX provides.
                  But surely that is comparing Apples and Oranges there isin't it? You can compare Direct3D to OpenGL, but for the rest it is SDL that provides a similar or even arguably better feature set to DirectX (at the very least on Linux but also on other systems as well).

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    This fps improvement was actually predictable knowing that the linux kernel is much better optimized than windows. Also windows is just shit when it comes to memory management...and since opengl is the only way in linux the drivers are probably better optimized than in windows where direct shit is king.

As a side question. Why are people still programming for directx? It works only on windows. Program for opengl and you make your engine more portable from the start for if (actually when) you'll port it to linux. It's not like directx is so much easier than opengl.... brainwashed devs..
                    Your post smells with fud.

First, yes, DX is easier. Eaxh individual component is notably easier is some aspect and DX is easier overall due to integrating all components into one.

Second, yes, it was a predictable improvement, but not for those reasons. The real reason is this is a highly skilled team which took the arguably most stable game Valve has and spent a year porting and optimizing it, effectively rewriting a lot of code, while the Windows version relies on ages-old code in a state just "good enough" where Valve doesn't need to optimize it.

I'm as much of a Linux enthusiast as anyone, but no need for fud and lies here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                      But surely that is comparing Apples and Oranges there isin't it? You can compare Direct3D to OpenGL, but for the rest it is SDL that provides a similar or even arguably better feature set to DirectX (at the very least on Linux but also on other systems as well).
                      There's a good presentation from Icculus on this subject. You can watch it here.
                      Ryan 'Icculus' Gordon Increasingly, the best tools for building games for any platform don't cost a dime. This talk will offer an overview of several of t...

Comment

Working...
                      X