X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9a3eedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Scali View Post
    It would be more interesting if a full DX11+ whizzbang engine/game (Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 being metaphors of that, note that these are imaginary future game titles, not current games) were ported to linux (not for me, don't get me wrong. I'm not even a gamer... but those are the kind of games surrounded with the most hype, and those generally get sold on their technical merits, even when they're not actually all that fun to play. They'd give linux gaming more of a boost).
    Well, Croteam is porting Serious Sam 3 to Linux as well, if that counts for anything, and I think they're targetting the launch day of when Valve ports steam. Serious Sam 3 has a seriously (lol) high end engine from what I've played, although I think it's most CPU bottlenecked but I'm not sure.

I think it's still a DX9-level engine though, but it's still quite a powerful engine.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Could you imagine the sheetstorm that would ensue?

The MS fanboys would be in raving hysterics.
    It's not like they have to buy a new console to play their game. Is installing a free linux distro (with a windows-based installer) so hard to do?

(I'm half-serious here, I realize that it's not going to end well if Valve did that lol)

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    But surely that is comparing Apples and Oranges there isin't it? You can compare Direct3D to OpenGL, but for the rest it is SDL that provides a similar or even arguably better feature set to DirectX (at the very least on Linux but also on other systems as well).
    Yes, but my point was that with DirectX, everything is in one nice little package. With OpenGL you'd have to pick and choose different frameworks (SDL, etc.). Sure it gives you choice, but at the same time it's not so clear and straightforward sometimes on how to do things.
    Last edited by 9a3eedi; 04 August 2012, 01:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ElderSnake
    replied
    I agree with earlier comments, that I personally, would be happy to just have near parity in performance. Anything else is a bonus.

I'm so used to trying the Source games with Wine and getting HALF the performance, if that, even with my NVIDIA card. This isn't true for everyone of course, but for me it was enough to play TF2 on Windows if I didn't want the 2fort bridge area to bring my FPS to it's knees

Strangely though, not exactly related to graphics performance, I did seem to get better ping in TF2 in Linux than I did under Windows. Not a huge amount, maybe 10-15ms at best but enough to notice and it seemed more consistent. Background connections in Windows or something? I'm not sure, but I usually run Arch Linux so there would be very few processes or connections going on.

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied
    New games like HL2EP3 or such may have somewhat of an impact... but porting games like L4D2, P2, TF2, which have been on the market for years already, I don't think so.
    Maybe. Hell, if you don't mind the anecdotal evidence, I just shelled out the $6 to download the new L4D2 DLC on my XBox a few minutes ago, even though I already have it for free on my dev box and laptop. People are still very much interested in playing these games.

The mistakes of the Linux porting companies isn't that they ported old games. It was that they charged brand-new prices for old games. If I didn't already have it and if I cared to return to Linux as a non-server OS, I'd happily pay $20 for L4D2 or HL2 on Linux.

The purpose of Valve in this endeavor is also not exactly "make more monies by selling to the vast 1% of the market that is Linux." The project is partly just Gabe being very very interested in Linux and, being rich and having an entire company of his own that makes games, he can damn well port his stuff to Linux if he wants to. And he does. So he is.

Just like most of you keep using Linux despite its statistical unpopularity and yet still consider the OS fantastic, it's quite possible that Valve will consider Linux ports a success simply because they exist, even if sales are low. Ideology and profits rarely have anything to do with each other.

Also in terms of repurchasing power, keep in mind that some companies with a fanatical following do very successfully manage to peddle the same crap over and over again. There are big titles that make a splash and disappear a few months later (remember Diablo 3? me neither) and then there are titles that the gaming community just never stops being in love with (why hello there, Starcraft).

Don't get me wrong; new titles are where the money is at in general, and if you care about sales you need to be releasing new content. It's not at all necessary to push a new a platform or technology, though. With the right product, you can keep on peddling the same fossil over and over again and be successful.

p.s. Yes, it is fucking retarded that you have to pay for DLC on the XBox that is free on Steam, which is entirely due to the ridiculous fees Microsoft charges developers for updates and DLC. It's all Microsoft's Live team being a bunch of douchebags. Don't even get me started on Games for Windows Live. That entire department needs to combust, now, without any warning to the people who work there.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    @RealNC

It is an incorrect assumption that different cards (even from the same vendor) have got the same performance differences. Also amd cards behave usually completely different. You can do your own benchmarks right now when you setup heaven with the same settings but different renderer. When you do that with amd cards then in most cases there is a significant drop in fps when you switch from win to linux. d3d was there the fastest which is not unlikely as only d3d is fully optimized there - like when you want to use crossfire only the d3d mode works for the unigine engine. I know that heaven is not steam and the hugest differences where seen with enabled tesselation. I am pretty sure that the steam engine does not use those effects, so the differences most likely are not that far away. Basically optimizing the opengl code path was needed much longer as they need it for mac anyway. Why this was never done i do not really understand. Would like to know if the mac port gained speed as well.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Does Windows even have fanboys?
    Unfortunately, yes. And they're far worse than the iFans. Just browse through the Engadget comments when something like WP or WinRT tablets is brought up. They're especially concentrated in the enterprise.

Just seeing some of the comments posted out there about this particular Valve blog post is kind of hilarious. It's like some of them cried themselves to sleep or something.

Leave a comment:

• Scali
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    That will freak out the Windows fanboys
    Does Windows even have fanboys?
    Or Intel for that matter?
    It seems that these companies have such a massive dominance that there's no point in cheering them on.
    Then again, I mainly see fanboys as people who don't just see the good sides of a product/company/technology, but go totally overboard and completely lose touch with reality in trying to 'convince' others how great that product/company/technology is.

I guess in the case of Windows, especially with gamers, in general they're just users. They use Windows because they want to play games. Nothing more.

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    s/week/two months/ and then we have something. I'd really enjoy that shitstorm, and I don't even care for half-life.
    Better yet....make it a standard policy for Steam *and* their partners that will make Linux games....all games that will have a Linux and a Windows port will be released 1st 1-2 weeks in Linux and only then on Windows

That will freak out the Windows fanboys

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Because that would be comparing two different APIs, not just Linux vs Windows.
    Yeah but OTOH , Dx is the defacto standard in Windows and OGL is the defacto standard in Linux so, in this case, it's not exactly comparing vs oranges....

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Unfortunately, no
    Yes, yes, but why you didn't count Direct3D vs. OpenGL result? There is 15% difference (for example ~50 vs. ~60 FPS).
    Because that would be comparing two different APIs, not just Linux vs Windows.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    s/week/two months/ and then we have something. I'd really enjoy that shitstorm, and I don't even care for half-life.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X