• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Unfortunately, no
    Hell, any way, pay a visit and vote

http://tek.sapo.pt/noticias/computad...7.html#swc_p=1

Comment

• Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      They should release Half-Life 3 and make it Linux only. Let's see how that shifts things.
      Actually, what would be really cool and even doable is to release it on Linux a week earlier than on Windows. That would be enough to warrant attention while not alienating everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Actually, what would be really cool and even doable is to release it on Linux a week earlier than on Windows. That would be enough to warrant attention while not alienating everyone.
        +1 !!!

Same for CSGO or DOTA2 but i doubt that is doable for those taking in account that developmentis already too far advanced with betas and all...

Comment

• s/week/two months/ and then we have something. I'd really enjoy that shitstorm, and I don't even care for half-life.

Comment

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            Unfortunately, no
            Yes, yes, but why you didn't count Direct3D vs. OpenGL result? There is 15% difference (for example ~50 vs. ~60 FPS).
            Because that would be comparing two different APIs, not just Linux vs Windows.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Because that would be comparing two different APIs, not just Linux vs Windows.
              Yeah but OTOH , Dx is the defacto standard in Windows and OGL is the defacto standard in Linux so, in this case, it's not exactly comparing vs oranges....

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                s/week/two months/ and then we have something. I'd really enjoy that shitstorm, and I don't even care for half-life.
                Better yet....make it a standard policy for Steam *and* their partners that will make Linux games....all games that will have a Linux and a Windows port will be released 1st 1-2 weeks in Linux and only then on Windows

That will freak out the Windows fanboys

Comment

• Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  That will freak out the Windows fanboys
                  Does Windows even have fanboys?
                  Or Intel for that matter?
                  It seems that these companies have such a massive dominance that there's no point in cheering them on.
                  Then again, I mainly see fanboys as people who don't just see the good sides of a product/company/technology, but go totally overboard and completely lose touch with reality in trying to 'convince' others how great that product/company/technology is.

I guess in the case of Windows, especially with gamers, in general they're just users. They use Windows because they want to play games. Nothing more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scali View Post
                    Does Windows even have fanboys?
                    Unfortunately, yes. And they're far worse than the iFans. Just browse through the Engadget comments when something like WP or WinRT tablets is brought up. They're especially concentrated in the enterprise.

Just seeing some of the comments posted out there about this particular Valve blog post is kind of hilarious. It's like some of them cried themselves to sleep or something.

Comment

• @RealNC

It is an incorrect assumption that different cards (even from the same vendor) have got the same performance differences. Also amd cards behave usually completely different. You can do your own benchmarks right now when you setup heaven with the same settings but different renderer. When you do that with amd cards then in most cases there is a significant drop in fps when you switch from win to linux. d3d was there the fastest which is not unlikely as only d3d is fully optimized there - like when you want to use crossfire only the d3d mode works for the unigine engine. I know that heaven is not steam and the hugest differences where seen with enabled tesselation. I am pretty sure that the steam engine does not use those effects, so the differences most likely are not that far away. Basically optimizing the opengl code path was needed much longer as they need it for mac anyway. Why this was never done i do not really understand. Would like to know if the mac port gained speed as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X