Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Blizzard Be Bringing Their Games To Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mememe
    replied
    I'm fairly happy with Windows 7 so I'm not sure if and how MS screwed it up as much as Valve and Blizzard are trying to make us believe. That said, I don't really care about the reason as long as it motivates them to support our favorite operating system :P.

Leave a comment:

• oliver
    replied
    With regard to the platform diversity etc etc, don't think that's an issue.

Blizzard games always have been quite self-contained. Probably due to their multi-platform ability. No weird DLL requirements, no depending on the registry etc.

If they'd release the linux binary, only Wow.exe as Wow(.bin) chances are, it would work on a _lot_ of distro's without hassle. If you grep for strings in the Wow, SC2 and D3 exe's, there's obvious Linux references. All they have to do, is release it to the public and put a 'this is unsupported' disclaimer on it.

But one of the reasons they might not, is due to their anti-cheating tech, which may be lacking in the Linux builds ...

Leave a comment:

• dcc24
    replied
    Soo... This entire non-article can be summarized with one word: "No". Again Michael, this isn't an article, it's a tweet!

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    With MacOS/OpenGL compatibility, it's small effort from there to get more Linux compatibility. Emphasis on compatibility. Blizzard games have always run well in OpenGL (and even DirectX, but not as well as -opengl) in WINE, sans the occassional WINE regression oe driver issue. I personally ran WC3-FT on Ubuntu (after 6 rounds of dist-upgrades which really made the machine struggle) with a Sempron 1150 and 2GB RAM, onboard 6150 nVidia and 80GB HDD. Still managed to work a treat. But I digress.

For Blizzard, it'd not take much to move over. They can do native now. The OpenGL option has always been there for WoW and W3 at least, and there's not really that much in the likes of WoW, their cash-cow, (not sure about D3, and personally I'd put a bullet in my head that play it again) since their DX upgrades that couldn't either be updated, or jsut simply removed to make a stable client.

But why should they? What would they lose by opening up a Linux channel and, what would be gained? Various issues like MS' history of rape and pillage and payouts, linux lack of a coherent platform similar to consoles and Windows (XP, Vista, 7 et al compared to the Flagships Ubuntu and Fedora, with new versions every 6 months and Debian a rolling albeit stable distro!) come to mind. Unfortunately game companies tend to be extremely protective of thier assets because of rip-off's that occur within 3 months of leaked data (employee's paid off to supply? heheh conjecture, I love it) and I can only wonder why considering they would considering they've danced the jig to the likes of Nintendo, Sega, Sony and MS for decades.

Anyway, just putting out some perspective in the hopes of seeking more yummy input.

Leave a comment:

• araxth
    replied
    world of warcraft versus wine

The Cedega related scandal dates really back in the day. It appears that, at some point the Cedega software clashed with WoW's anti cheating system. And, they had it fixed in decent timing (considering that Wine wasn't and isn't an official platform.
    Personally i was able to play wow through Wine for few years in a round...starting with The Burning Crusade (i think ). Now i had enough of it. I was also able to play Starcraft II nicely (even if it doesnt have OpenGL support on the Windows build) without getting banned or otherwise.

The quality of the gameplay on Warcraft III, DIablo II, World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2 (these I've played on Linux) makes me think that Blizz is keeping an eye open on what happens on Wine side, and i'd dare to say that they even work unofficially to make their products compatible.

Never played Diablo III though.

Regards,
    n.

Leave a comment:

• madjr
    replied
    Would love to see blizzard, but their games work on wine pretty well as far as I know, so not that much to gain immediately (I think).

Would be better if we could get more engines on the linux train like Unreal engine.

I wonder If they have any plans to include linux in their supported platforms again now that unity and source engine are doing so ?

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    I doubt Blizzard will go in until Valve sinks or swims on it's Linux venture, however I wish they checked for a Wine key. It would reveal sooo many more Linux users than they think playing their games.

Leave a comment:

• Vadi
    replied
    Blizzard sure has the technical know-how to make it happen. It's all in the management... which might be convinced if it sees Valve's investment pay off.

Leave a comment:

• MartinN
    replied
    Valve, and if Blizzard wakes up and focuses on the future instead of only on itself, can set the world free by making Linux the greatest desktop there ever was. Linux has already more or less commoditized the server OS market, and the final frontier is where Apple now has the furthest reach. Games can draw people in like nothing else, and it is probably the best/safest bet for the two game behemoths of making Linux the world's desktop. It's high time this happened.

Leave a comment:

• 1c3d0g
    replied
    Who the hell actually LIKES Windows 8 for real anyways? I can understand Windows 7, although not perfect, is far more useful as a general O.S. This Windows 8 kludge is meant for tablets. M$ has been shown by thousands of its users and hundreds of their most vocal supporters on their development blog, that:

tablet != desktop.

Unfortunately they've failed to realize this fatal error and continued with this Metro crap, and this grave mistake will cost them dearly, mark my words. I've used Windows since 3.1, and Windows 8 is BY FAR WORSE than any other version ever released (including Vista and Millennium Edition)! And yes, I've tried them all, including the early alpha pre-releases all the way down to the latest release candidate (consumer preview or whatever they call it nowadays). For the first time in years I managed to BSOD my PC so bad that I had to reformat the entire SSD (while doing nothing unusual!). Failure is a word M$ will to have get used to unless they're willing to change for the better, like actually listening to what their biggest customers want.
    Last edited by 1c3d0g; 27 July 2012, 10:50 PM. Reason: Added my point of view

Leave a comment:

Working...
X