Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Blizzard Be Bringing Their Games To Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
    Who the hell actually LIKES Windows 8 for real anyways? I can understand Windows 7, although not perfect, is far more useful as a general O.S. This Windows 8 kludge is meant for tablets. M$ has been shown by thousands of its users and hundreds of their most vocal supporters on their development blog, that:

tablet != desktop.

Unfortunately they've failed to realize this fatal error and continued with this Metro crap, and this grave mistake will cost them dearly, mark my words. I've used Windows since 3.1, and Windows 8 is BY FAR WORSE than any other version ever released (including Vista and Millennium Edition)! And yes, I've tried them all, including the early alpha pre-releases all the way down to the latest release candidate (consumer preview or whatever they call it nowadays). For the first time in years I managed to BSOD my PC so bad that I had to reformat the entire SSD (while doing nothing unusual!). Failure is a word M$ will to have get used to unless they're willing to change for the better, like actually listening to what their biggest customers want.
    I actually like Windows 8 more than Windows 7. You can easily use Windows 8 as a desktop OS, resorting to the Metro interface (or whatever it's called now) as an application launcher. It's nice to have apps organized by common task into columns. Sometimes you get slapped by Metro style apps (barf), but it's noticeably faster than Windows 7. The most annoying thing, though, is that it only searches through apps and to get to files you need to tab.

Comment

Ten years later, looks like it's a resounding 'NO'. Blizzard will not be bringing its games to Linux. Lets check back in 2032.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Ten years later, looks like it's a resounding 'NO'. Blizzard will not be bringing its games to Linux. Lets check back in 2032.
        Now that Microsoft owns them, that ship has sailed to Mars. I do play TBC Classic in Linux through Wine and it works perfectly, but there are some caveats. Firstly, only use Wine-Staging as TKG and Proton based builds tend to crash Battle.net. Which is a shame since in other games these builds tend to give great performance, especially if you combine it with AMD FSR. To give you an idea Elden Ring Fitgirl Edition will run at 30 fps in Wine-Staging but with TKG or Proton where you enable fsync and FSR, you'll double that frame rate. You still get the benefits of DXVK with Wine-Staging in World of Warcraft. Using Wine-Staging for World of Warcraft means no AMD FSR and no Fsync. I'm gonna leave some useful links for anyone looking to get into Linux gaming in the future. Hopefully future builds of Proton or TGK will work with World of Warcraft, specifically Battle.net.

Wine builds (Vanilla, Staging, TkG and Proton). Contribute to Kron4ek/Wine-Builds development by creating an account on GitHub.

Compatibility tool for Steam Play based on Wine and additional components - GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Well, their Linux guy joined Valve and made Proton. Since then the dream was dead. We do have Linux builds of the original alpha though so there’s that.

The good news is that the game runs better than ever on Linux regardless. As a matter of fact it runs faster than on Windows, and you can use the meta key to make keybinds, which you cannot do in Windows, and it’s even recognised as the meta key. Warden supports Linux, there are no bans, and overall the game just works, so why even port it at this point. I certainly don’t care.

Comment

Working...
          X