Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Blizzard Be Bringing Their Games To Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Blizzard is one of the most pro-DRM, anti-user companies out there, but there is no denying that they make some really awesome games.
    Profitable, sure. Awesome? No.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
      I doubt Blizzard will go in until Valve sinks or swims on it's Linux venture, however I wish they checked for a Wine key. It would reveal sooo many more Linux users than they think playing their games.
      The Warden checks for a few Wine keys to ensure that it doesn't ban players since the old incident where they banned lots of Linux gamers. However, it only sends back any info if it detects a cheat, so it really doesn't give them any idea of the demographic.

Recently they "submitted non-personal system info" in preparation for Mists of Pandaria. They haven't published the results, but they significantly bumped the graphics in the new expansion (it looks gorgeous now!)

This system info collector collects info about your OS, and I snatched the packet it sent out and found it contained "Linux86_64" They know, don't you worry.

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      Profitable, sure. Awesome? No.
      They have made A LOT of really amazing games. StarCraft turned into the national sport of Korea, and the 2nd game took its place. World of Warcraft has now been online with currently 10M subscribers for 9 years.

I still play StarCraft 2, WarCraft 3 and World of Warcraft. I love them all. I don't like Diablo 3 that much though. Got it for free through my WoW sub, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, but you know what? Blizzard knows. Mike Morhaime came out and promised Diablo players more content and better endgame, so it's going to be okay.

Also, a bird tweeted to me a few moons ago that their Linux WoW client has some driver issues (SURPRISE LOLOLOLOL!). You know what that implies? It implies they actually have one.
      Last edited by Ishayu; 30 July 2012, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishayu View Post
        I still play StarCraft 2, WarCraft 3 and World of Warcraft. I love them all.
        Good for you. But that doesn't make them awesome.

I don't like Diablo 3 that much though. Got it for free through my WoW sub, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, but you know what? Blizzard knows. Mike Morhaime came out and promised Diablo players more content and better endgame, so it's going to be okay.
        It's a dungeon crawling loot fest without decent loot. If that's your thing, have fun, but Torchlight does it better.

Comment

Good for you. But that doesn't make them awesome.

It's a dungeon crawling loot fest without decent loot. If that's your thing, have fun, but Torchlight does it better.
          Let's see, for his argument he has

StarCraft turned into the national sport of Korea, and the 2nd game took its place. World of Warcraft has now been online with currently 10M subscribers for 9 years.
          Where as you have

lol i dont like them
          Seems this point goes to Ishayu.

Comment

Originally posted by KameZero View Post
            Seems this point goes to Ishayu.
            Were you dropped on your head as a child?

Comment

Let's see for his argument he has

Originally posted by KameZero
              Logical comparison between the two arguments
              While you have

Random insult without actually refuting anything
              Seems this point goes to KameZero

Comment

LOL!

Originally posted by KameZero View Post
                Let's see for his argument he has

While you have

Seems this point goes to KameZero
                (10 char limit)

Comment

Someone else posted that Blizzard gathers Linux stats for things - I'm just doing a Valve hardware survey and the automated survey detected and will report this:

Operating System Version:
                  Windows XP (32 bit)
                  Wine version: wine-1.4.1-6859-g53d1c65

Comment

Taken from a guy who's involved in Planetside 2: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...eteran/c5ne3jf

What are some of the specific reasons and what should M$ be doing to improve PC Gaming instead of seemingly actively trying to destroy it. Are we going to see Planetside 2 Linux at some point if M$ doesn't get their act together?
                    permalinkreportreply

[?]j_smedley[S] 22 points 3 hours ago
                    I absolutely strongly share that view. No you aren't going to see PS2 on Linux. You will see it on Mac though.

permalinkparentreportreply
                    [?]Zweihanders 4 points 3 hours ago
                    at Launch or later on for Mac?

permalinkparentreportreply
                    [?]j_smedley[S] 9 points 2 hours ago
                    later to my great sadness. hopefully not too much later. I love my iMac and my Retina MBP
                    This confirms my idea that for a game to happen on Linux, the managerial types need to be interested in it...

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                      This confirms my idea that for a game to happen on Linux, the managerial types need to be interested in it...
                      It's got to come down to $$$ of course. There really are no technical, philosophical or legal reasons not to support Linux. Just comes down to $$$.

Nice find btw. Another Windows 8 non-believer.

Comment

Working...
                      X