Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oibaf
    replied
    Just want to say that forking usually happens when the project has some serious issues. If the project is well managed and developed there is no need for a fork. See Xonotic and also Libreoffice and Xorg examples. If the project is not open source and can't be forked there is a big chance it will die.

Leave a comment:

• madjr
    replied
    I used to play it, was pretty cool game.

however some maps were a bit hard as you needed to do some precise maneuvering, but at least it was cool to watch the pros at it.

Might try it again.

Leave a comment:

• Loafers
    replied
    Originally posted by Simonlc View Post
    Hi, I'm the one that emailed Phoronix about the game release, just here to clear up a few things. Warsow's codebase is completely open source. The media however is not, and the reason is to prevent forks. Many of you may already know about Xonotic being forked from Nexuiz.

Warsow's engine is the Qfusion project, and can be used to create a game from. Qfusion is based on idtech 2, the Quake II engine, not idtech 3. Though it actually supports loading maps from idtech 1, 2 and 3.

I'm not an expert on the project, but Qfusion has many improvements, such as netcode, very fast loading of content, rendering improvements, and some rendering features you'd see in idtech 4. I'm not quite sure on the specifics, but it's a pretty massive project for mainly one person.

To be clear about the post, the full game is being released tomorrow, not a demo of any sort.

I hope that clears up everyone's questions.
    Hi Simon. Thanks for the clarification !

From your perspective, I can kinda see why you'd want to keep the media under a proprietary license.

Anyway, so long as the game is free, I can't really complain. Plus, more competition is better !

Leave a comment:

• Simonlc
    replied
    I understand your point, though it's been 7 years now, with 7 major releases. Nothing is stopping you from picking up one of those releases, and playing the game with a new client, or mod. The developers and founder are very adamant about the game remaining free. The topic has come up countless times to ask and put the game on steam for promotion, though as you may know steam only allows games that make money.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Well the good thing about Warsow is that it will always remain 100% free. If that wasn't the case though, nothing is stopping you from playing the version being released tomorrow. Sure the content might not be free, but you're still fully capable of forking the engine.
    Then I tell all my friends about it, and they tell theirs. We start playing believing it is open source and remain so and a community is growing. We contribute patches, and help the developers with the game and the game grows and gets popular.

Then they fuck us all over, and close the source, and go proprietary with the game media assets.
    Then we cant fork it, because the media assets are proprietary.

The media assets needs to be free in case the developers fuck the community over, or if they cancel the project. Forking is essential to a healthy system where it can continue to grow and evolve. Else it is too vulnerable.

Leave a comment:

• Simonlc
    replied
    Well the good thing about Warsow is that it will always remain 100% free. If that wasn't the case though, nothing is stopping you from playing the version being released tomorrow. Sure the content might not be free, but you're still fully capable of forking the engine.

Edit: typo
    Last edited by Simonlc; 27 July 2012, 09:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Another huge reason for not wanting forks is the inevitable community split, which again we can see with Xonotic vs Nexuiz.
    Well wasn't the Xonotic a good thing?
    Nexuiz management sold out and fucked everyone.
    But thanks to Xonotic, it could live on under a new name.

Leave a comment:

• Simonlc
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Isn't forking a good thing?
    If people have the freedom to fork, that's great!

Nexuiz was a good open source project, until those assholes fucked over the community and went proprietary. Then thanks to the fork in the form of Xonotic, now Nexuiz lives on!
    Sure, I love forking projects, for many reasons. Normally though, art assets aren't always the best fit for open source. Now I could come up with many examples where art is a great fit for open source, but it really comes down to wanting to keep the look and feel of the game unique. Another huge reason for not wanting forks is the inevitable community split, which again we can see with Xonotic vs Nexuiz.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Warsow's codebase is completely open source. The media however is not, and the reason is to prevent forks. Many of you may already know about Xonotic being forked from Nexuiz.
    Isn't forking a good thing?
    If people have the freedom to fork, that's great!

Nexuiz was a good open source project, until those assholes fucked over the community and went proprietary. Then thanks to the fork in the form of Xonotic, now Nexuiz lives on!

Leave a comment:

• Simonlc
    replied
    Hi, I'm the one that emailed Phoronix about the game release, just here to clear up a few things. Warsow's codebase is completely open source. The media however is not, and the reason is to prevent forks. Many of you may already know about Xonotic being forked from Nexuiz.

Warsow's engine is the Qfusion project, and can be used to create a game from. Qfusion is based on idtech 2, the Quake II engine, not idtech 3. Though it actually supports loading maps from idtech 1, 2 and 3.

I'm not an expert on the project, but Qfusion has many improvements, such as netcode, very fast loading of content, rendering improvements, and some rendering features you'd see in idtech 4. I'm not quite sure on the specifics, but it's a pretty massive project for mainly one person.

To be clear about the post, the full game is being released tomorrow, not a demo of any sort.

I hope that clears up everyone's questions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X